Funding zero budget student made Survivor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 15th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #1
Tourist

Funding zero budget student made Survivor

I've gotten roped into working with some fellow students this summer on producing a low rent version of Survivor, with other students. We've got everything quite well done and ready, except we have no way to deal with the footage that will accumulate. On any one night we'll have between 3 and 7 cameras shooting, with an hour or two per camera. We've figure this will end up with around 150 hours for the whole season. Then we need to edit all this over a while. The final product will be a set of DVDs.

So, my question is this: assuming we have nearly no money to spend on this how might we somehow get tape for 150 hours of footage. I calculated it on B&H photo video, and even using the cheapest tape, at $3.29 that comes out to $493.50. No one has or is willing to put up that kind of cash that's involved in the production (these are all HS and college kids). We're not really planning on making any money off this, it's mostly a for-fun thing. We're not opposed to some kind of sponsorship, but we've also not got much time left. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #2
High School Student

No matter what, it's going to be around that price to buy it, look at a site that specializes in tape, and you will get a better deal on bulk tape. I bet if you *tried* to get a sponsor of some type, you probably could. Try contacting Fuji and talk to them directly about buying 150 tapes, you might get the "hook up".

My only real suggestion is that you better edit that footage as you go. 150 hours isn't no joke. Saving it all for editing after shooting is done will mean your screwed.

Another idea would be, to script it, so you wouldn't need to use nearly enough tape. It would be funnier if you scripted it, and made it into a comedy spoof, instead of trying to be serious about it.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #3
RED Code Chef

Also make sure if you are going to imitate it that you keep safety
on top of your list! No need to get people very sick or killed when
they can't eat for days or something....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion