What to shoot for viewing on LCD, P or i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What to shoot for viewing on LCD, P or i?

I have SD footage that looks pretty bad on a 37" 1080i HD LCD because it was shot at 60i and I am viewing it on a progressive HD monitor. So the HD upres is doing a bad job and the interlaced footage looks not-so-great on the progressive monitor, put those 2 together and the "high quality" XH-A1 HD-SD downconvet 16:9 footage looks like it was shot with a palmcorder. Is the solution to shoot for the monitor? Shoot progressive for a progressive monitor? Also, do you recommend buying one of those "upres" DVD players?

roger
Roger Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What doesn't look so great? Are you seeing interlacing/deinterlacing artifacts? As in, the deinterlacer not doing so good of a job. One place where you'd see this is if there are scrolling credits.

Or is it something else?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Maybe what i am seeing is upres artifacts. I bought an "upres" DVD player and the picture looks much better, partly because the signal is going over an HDMI cable instead of an RCA cable. Also the footage was not deinterlaced, you can see it is some of the still pictures, jagged edges, but none of that is visible in the video footage. The upres DVD player does a great job of improving the look of SD footage at higher resolution.
Roger Beck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion