Question on Premiere and Audio Formats at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 27th, 2002, 04:16 PM   #1
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Question on Premiere and Audio Formats

Got a question for you guys on a problem I've been experiecing. Not sure if this is normal or not.

But basically say I transfer some digital footage from my camcorder to my PC. One footage in particular was recorded in 12bit audio. Another footage was recorded in 16bit audio.

Now say I have created a new project in Adobe Premiere 6.01. It is a Standard DV-NTSC 48kHz (16bit) project.

Now the problem that I experience is this. If I import or open the 12bit audio footage from above into this project my computer crashes horribly. If I import or open the 16bit audio footage into this project everything is nice and dandy.

Seems I have to create a 12bit standard DV-NTSC project if I want to import the 12bit audio footage without my pc crashing.

I mean, makes sense that I would have to do this so that the audio formats match. But would that really cause a system to crash?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2002, 04:19 PM   #2
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Oh, and the other way around works with no crashes. Meaning I can create a 32kHz (12bit) standard dv-ntsc project and import or open the 16bit audio file. No crashing occurs.

Another thing...this only happens with video coming directly from my camcorder. If I have say a 32kHz quicktime movie downloaded from the internet. And I do the same thing (create a 48kHz standard dv-ntsc project) and import or open this quicktime movie...everything is fine.

mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2002, 07:02 PM   #3
scott lawrence

Premiere audio formats

if you want to keep the footage you have in 16bit mode as is, you might try converting the 12bit to 16bit.
This obviously won't improve the quality, but should allow you to open the clip in a 16bit project.
Try exporting only the 12bit footage as a DVAVI movie file that is resampled at 16bit. i remember learning something about selecting BEST for Enhanced Rate Conversion in the audio preferences box in the audio section of the Export Movie Settings box. This allegedly reduces ringing.
Then you can try importing this new file into the 16bit project.

. . . just a guess at a solution . . .

- - scott

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion