Possible stupid question alert!!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Possible stupid question alert!!!!!

I know Im beating a dead horse about weddings here, but I am in baddly need of advice. I got a GL2, and a varizoom shoulder pod(along with a stadard tripod rig). Now I dont know if its just me, but the shoulder pod seems uncomfortable, and shaky. Has this happed to anyone else? How would you solve this problem? Also the issue of what to do when the DJ makes annoucements. How do you pick them up without distortion? Should I turn the cam off, or edit it out and add a digital annoucement? Also the low lighting, and the dance sceen?

Besides that, a personal question going out to all videographers- Has anyone ever stolen you stuff when you left it to get a shot, bathroom, ext????

John Deluca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

3 questions for 1. Seems today is the day for that.

Well let's see, Shoulder brace; I don't use the Varizoom or a GL2, I do use the Studio1 brace and a PD150, with a WA attachment, long shotgun mic, on camera light and a wireless receiver.

So why you ask am I answering your question about equipment that is different. Well, it all has to do with BALANCE. The reason any shoulder brace is uncomfortable is the balance that you set up when you use it. For example, my camera rig is front heavy-real front heavy so when I set up the shoulder brace I set it so I could use either the viewfinder OR the LCD and balanced the rig by making a bracket that I pop riveted to the brace for my wireless receiver. Now when I use the rig it's fairly well balanced so I can go for a while with out discomfort. Play around with the position of the camera on the brace if you can to find the most comfortable place for you.

As for the DJ announcements, I'm assuming you are talking about a wedding reception where the DJ is introducing the bridal party? If I'm assuming correctly, the last thing you want to do is "fake" an announcement. So let the camera run. As for distortion, a lot depends on the audio set up you are using. Again, since I don't use the Canon, I'm not familiar with the audio setup the camera has, but in general, you need a decent shotgun mic, headphones to monitor with, keep the audio levels at no more than -12db at peak and be in the room when the DJ does his sound check. Ask if thats as loud as the music will be and ask him/her to talk over the music some so you can check your levels. If it's too loud you either have to lower your input OR ask him/her to lower their levels a little.

No one has stolen any of my stuff from a wedding in 20 years, but I'm careful with it. I make friends with the DJ as soon as I get to the reception and put my stuff back by the DJ's. I also keep an eye on it and since most of my jobs are at the same places the staff knows me and kinda watches out for me too.

Not sure what you mean by the low lighting and dance screen, but a small on camera light can save your a**. The camera will only see so much in the dark and even then the details of faces and dress can be lost. I've never had a bride or groom get upset about my using a 20 or 30 watt light at a reception. Hell, I even use it outside sometimes if conditions warrant. Just my training from being a still photog 30+ years ago.

Hope this helps,
Don

PS-check on the Canon camera site of this forum and in the audio section also for some better answers to your audio questions.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 08:44 PM   #3
Major Player

People that ask stupid questions take the load off of the rest of us, who are afraid to ask.

I also don't use the canon, I have VX2K's, and find that I can shoot well with almost no light at all. That said, after doing it without a light once, even though it turned out good, I invested in a cheap Bescor Klk-624 20w/40w, 6 volt on camera light. Tried it at the last reception, and was pleased. Did I say cheap. . . I meant inexpensive. B&H sells if for under $100.
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
Has anyone ever stolen you stuff when you left it to get a shot, bathroom, ext????
I go to the bathroom before I set up my gear, and if I must go to the bathroom, I get my other half to guard it with a stick, or take everything with me. You have to protect your gear always. A friend of mind left his camera gear in his car for 15 minutes, about 3 weeks back, and wham! Someone brock the window and snatched everything. (About $18,000 CAN worth of gear.) He was lucky, though. 2 days later he had a check from his insurance company. It also helped that he is a lawyer. Didn't Mr. Hurd have an XL1 stolen in Winnipeg a while back? Or was that someone else...(?)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 09:15 AM   #5
Major Player

I never leave my gear unattended I have my assistant watch it or I take it with me.

After the wedding my assistant and I take turns locking any equipment we are not using up in my SUV under a cover and behind blacked out back section.

I am however thinking about getting a rolling locking cabinet to park in the reception behind the DJ so I have every thing together in one place at all times.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks

Thanks for the input. My first wedding is tomarrow, so Ill take your advice about getting an assistant to help and watch my stuff. Hope nothing goes wrong.

John DeLuca Akron, OH
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion