MTV cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MTV cameras

so i just watched a MTV production called Newport Harbor. I was wondering the types and brands of equipment they used for the show. I saw some behind the scenes photos and only saw the DVX 100 from panasonic. This cant be what they really shoot on is it? Does anyone know the production company who shoots this show or what cameras they use? if it is the dvx it looks amazing, but something must have been done in a post program because it looks high def. any thoughts?
Mark Tarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Go Go Luckey Productions, that's all I know.

Wouldn't be surprised about the DVX, there are other shows that use it (skillfully, to get such results). If they do shoot DV, I imagine they'd bump the footage to Digibeta for post.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Major Player

The MTV shows I've done for Go Go Luckey used SDX-900's with DVX-100B's for insert footage. That said, the DVX is a pretty incredible camera. We shot an entire series with it, and the MTV execs swore we shot something much better. It's really all about the lighting and very good colorists. They pay an online editor very good money to make the in-camera look translate to broadcast.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That is very interesting. So what would you say the breakup of the two cameras is as far as "this camera takes up this percentage and the other this much." Do you know what types of programs they use for after the initial shoot? Also, i have been looking at the HVX200....is this something that i could get dvx100 quality and beyond with the HD? MTV amazes me with some of there shows, they have the look that i think a lot of companies mimic.
Mark Tarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Major Player

I didn't do a whole lot for Go Go Luckey, but we used 99% SDX-900, and some DVX for time-lapse stuff. My specialty is acquisition...I'm basically all thumbs when it comes to post, but in New York, it's Avid country. Most things are onlined on Avid Symphony systems. HVX200 is a good camera. The workflow is different, being tapeless, but the camera itself makes a very nice picture. Truth be told, just about any prosumer camera right now has pretty good picture quality. Boards like this just let us all argue which specific strengths one camera has over the rest... but in the end, they're all quite good. Even the trusty DVX looks pretty amazing when treated well.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion