video editing help; PS3 related at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1
New Boot

video editing help; PS3 related

I've searched on this forum...some, but probably not good enough for the vets on this board. So perhaps this is already here somewhere but I can't find it

Here is what I want to do.

We own a 60 GB (first-gen) PS3...connected via HDMI to a new Epson front projector (120" diagonal). The set-up has literally transformed our TV watching.

I would like to purchase a new HD camcorder (either the HDV or AVCHD format, I guess) and a new desktop (quad 6600) in order to edit the raw HD video. I'm not hung up on burning Blu-Ray just yet (cost seems prohibitive) so simply putting the prettied-up movie files onto a hard disk and then moving the hard disk to the PS3...and playing the video from there...would work terrific for us.

I'm all ears as to links and suggestions; dos and don'ts and FAQ.

PS I first edited video, sort of by hand, using a Sony 8mm and a Commodore 64...outputted to Beta!

Last edited by Mark Bausch; February 1st, 2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: clarity
Mark Bausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

How to play HDV files on a PS3

Here you go to help you get started...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=Playstation

And, as an aside, you can also play DivX movies on the PS3 using these methods really easily with the most recent firmware update for the PS3 (e.g. some of excellent HD videos on www.stage6.com )

Just tried it recently and it works superbly well.

There are many threads on Cameras and PC specs for HD editing.

Regarding cameras, personally I'd steer clear of very compressed AVCHD format (but that's just my personal opinion.) I see issues with HDV and I think it might be a step too far. Maybe the new Sony HDR-HC9 would be a good option for you to consider?

Dig around in the HD Editing and relevant Compact HD Camera sections on here and have a look at peoples comments.

BTW, I went to Carbondale once (I've been a very frequent visitor to St Louis these last 8-9 years!)

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; February 1st, 2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Added DivX info
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM   #3
New Boot

your response

Thanks for your quick response. I have read your previous post on this subject and find it to be very informative. I need to make a purchase now and continue to gather information.

Last Dec-Jan my family and I spent Christmas in (cold and damp!) England. Lovely time!
Mark Bausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Major Player

[QUOTE=Mark Bausch;818088]
We own a 60 GB (first-gen) PS3...connected via HDMI to a new Epson front projector (120" diagonal). The set-up has literally transformed our TV watching.

I would like to purchase a new HD camcorder (either the HDV or AVCHD format, I guess) and a new desktop (quad 6600) in order to edit the raw HD video. I'm not hung up on burning Blu-Ray just yet (cost seems prohibitive)

so simply putting the prettied-up movie files onto a hard disk and then moving the hard disk to the PS3...and playing the video from there...would work terrific for us.

QUOTE]

I can't trust hard disc for any long term storage. Further, it is not "distributable". So its discs for me.... and to send to friends and family

Given what you are spending on all this, a BluRay burner and authoring software (DVDit Pro HD?) is just a modest addition.
Don Blish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion