DIY--Do it Yourself at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Major Player

DIY--Do it Yourself

Is there a section on this site for do it yourself building? I.e. putting your own light kits, booms, stands, etc. together?
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Photon Management is our forum for everything related to lighting, including DIY.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Trustee

Chris I'm not sure that was the specific question he was asking. I think he's looking for any sort of DIY stuff. Obviously there's a big DIY section on 35mm adapters (alternative adapters) and there are a few lighting options in the photon management, but where would someone look who was trying to get some info on how to build sandbags or apple boxes or (if it's possible on a DIY budget) c-stand's. All of these sort of fall into the "grip" section, does it fall under lighting as well?
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I guess anything grip related would go to either Photon Management or Techniques for Independent Production. Those two boards should cover most all of the DYI projects not related to 35mm adapters (or homebuilt stabilizers; lots of those threads in Support Your Local Camera).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
Chris I'm not sure that was the specific question he was asking. I think he's looking for any sort of DIY stuff. Obviously there's a big DIY section on 35mm adapters (alternative adapters) and there are a few lighting options in the photon management, but where would someone look who was trying to get some info on how to build sandbags or apple boxes or (if it's possible on a DIY budget) c-stand's. All of these sort of fall into the "grip" section, does it fall under lighting as well?
Yes, Nick. That was what I was hinting at. I assumed I should post DYI lighting things in "Photon Management," and the others elsewhere, but before I did, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some obvious DIY section.

I specifically have DYI lighting questions, DYI mic boom questions, DYI tripod/grip questions (booms, counterweights), etc.... but no 35mm adapter questions! HA! :)

I will post them at their appropriate sections then.

Thanks Chris.
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion