I need a lot of information, please help a newbie. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 4th, 2003, 02:01 AM   #1
Tourist

I need a lot of information, please help a newbie.

I have so many questions that I do not know where to start, or in what forum to start this thread. Forgive me if this is a bad choice.

First, I have a very limited experience in this industry. I worked for the TV show Dark Angel, as a PA. That was a great learning experience and is what caused me to continually think about anything related. I literally go to bed and cannot sleep because of all the visuals running through my head.

My only other “experience” is creating a short movie within a videogame. This is not easy to do. You have to have “actors”. Most of which have no idea what is really happening. If someone dies and the shot was not good you have to restart the game, get everyone back into his or her positions and make sure they are wearing the same uniform/weapon combination as they were in the previous takes. At least in real life you can have actor markers so that they know where to stand. Not possible in games. All sound effects need to be added later and you have to work within the limitations of the game. Only one “camera”, the list goes on. Anyway if you want to see this it’s available at the below link.

http://www.aafiles.com/file.info?ID=15339

Scroll down to the download section, click the link. Then on the new page click on “download: Limited by available bandwidth” link. I get about 300-500k a sec download.

It’s been some time since I started trying to think of film ideas for live action, and I have finally come up with an idea for a very short film (5min or less) that I think could be quite funny and/or entertaining, as have my “test” subjects. It’s the first idea that I have not just tossed aside.

--------------------------------------

Now I have questions about my new idea…

I would like to get this filmed. I do not own a video camera but I would like to do it myself. And everyone has to learn somewhere. I would love to just go out and buy an xl1s, but let’s face it… it would not be the most logical decision. I am sure there are places here that I could rent one, but would that be a smart choice? I mean I’d have to learn the camera’s functions, etc. And paying a rental fee to do that does not seem like a good idea. When push comes to shove I would like to have more than one camera filming anyway.

That said, I am not opposed to letting other people do the filming if I can get them to do it for cheap, or free! And if they seem to care as much as I do about the project.

Opinions?

I have been told that if I shorten this, that it could be a great commercial for a certain product that everyone uses and many companies produce… it would just be a mater of who to sell it to. Or more importantly, HOW to get the word out and have people actually READ it! Not just toss it aside.

As far as that goes, I have no idea where to start. I have no illusions that I would even have a chance to sell it but for reference, how do I go about selling or pitching a commercial? Who do I talk to, is it a good idea to film it in a “rough draft” first, make a storyboard, or just send the script to as many possible bidders as I can find? And what about copyright?

Continuing the copyright question, what’s the best way to do this? I have been told that simply writing out your ideas clearly and sending it to yourself is the easiest way to do it. As long as you never open up the envelope it’s safe. True? This is how I “copyrighted” my above movie characters etc.

However, from www.copyright.gov

Quote:
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
I take that as saying it’s not a good idea to use that method. But I must ask, why is it so popular? What do YOU do?

Now about the xl1s. Are their any sites that have pure uncompressed video for download that was filmed with the xl1s camera? I would also like to see the G2, I am sure I can get G1 footage from a friend who has one when he gets back from vacation.

How does the audio sound from the fixed microphone? Does anyone have some audio samples? I would think that recording to something like a Minidisk or a DAT is a better idea? Just use the fixed microphone for backup. Or attach an external microphone to the camera and have someone operate it. If filming with 2 or more cameras I guess each microphone on each camera could be focused on different sounds from the scene. Is that correct or not?

My film idea really is not sound heavy; most could be done after the filming if needed. No talking etc. But I am still curious.

---------------------------------------

I know I am missing a lot of questions here but I can ask them later. Thanks for any help.
Ian Brumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm probably one of the least experienced on the board, so you can take this with a grain of salt! This is what I would do.

First, I would seek out filmmakers and videographers (and those groups) in Vancouver. There are some that would probably be willing to help and/or shoot this for you - as long as you pick up expenses (tape, lunch, etc.). You can probably find actors at community theatres and colleges. I would check for websites in the area to post casting calls for cast and crews. You'd be surprised how many will respond!

As for copyright, it is my understanding you can't copyright an idea. However if you write up a treatment and include a synopsis, character breakdowns, etc. (and better yet, write the entire script), you can send it to the Writer's Guild of Canada for $30 - non-members. Here is the link for the WGC:

http://www.writersguildofcanada.com/script.html

As for the commercial, never say never, but I think that might be a tough one. You could send the storyboard/idea directly to company marketing, but I don't know how safe that would be! Someone else would need to chime in here.

Good luck.
Old July 4th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Ian

Quote:
Are their any sites that have pure uncompressed video for download that was filmed with the xl1s camera? I would also like to see the GL2
There are two or three problems with this. DV is already compressed at 5:1. Online clips like this are fairly useless when viewed on a computer screen, due to the differences in gamma between computer screens and video monitors such as television sets. Such clips would have to be downloaded and then recorded to your own DV camcorder and played back on a video monitor, not a computer screen, to give you a true idea of what the image looks like. However, there are too many other variables involved including the encoding process at the other end, plus your own video capture / video editing gear at your end in order to port the image back out to a DV camcorder. Finally, such video clips are tremendously huge for online hosting... I've got a couple of JVC clips up which practically brought our server to its knees the other day, thanks to the multitudes of "power downloaders."

The GL2 and XL1S produce nearly identical results. Try to locate one in person, either at a high-end retail electronics or photo store, or at one of the many digital video tradeshows and travelling lecture series (there are a variety of these to choose from). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Continuing the copyright question, what’s the best way to do this? I have been told that simply writing out your ideas clearly and sending it to yourself is the easiest way to do it. As long as you never open up the envelope it’s safe. True? This is how I “copyrighted” my above movie characters etc.
Original expression is protected by copyright from the moment it is "fixed in a tangible medium," i.e. written down, saved to a hard drive, place on tape, etc. However, registration is required if you want to sue for infringment of copyright, and statutory damages aren't available until you register. Registration is cheap and easy -- you can do it yourself.

Mailing something to yourself _may_ create some evidence of date of creation, but it's extremely weak evidence.

Also, as Mark Moore indicated, you cannot copyright an idea. You can, however, copyright a treatment, an outline, a first draft, etc. and would be protected to the extent that someone tries to prepare a derivative work based on your original expression. As I recall the Writers Guild will allow you to register a treatment, which also will provide some protection, albeit only contractual.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks guys.

I thought the uncompressed video would be about the same size as 640x480 uncompressed avi, or there abouts... quite large. Is there anywhere to get a high quality video file that has already been compressed but not resized.

As for the copyright quote of mine.

Quote:
I have been told that simply writing out your ideas clearly and sending it to yourself is the easiest way to do it.
I should have been more clear. What I mean by "idea" was to write out my story and a script along with it. Not just a scribble on a napkin.

Thanks again.
Ian Brumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Ian

You're in Vancouver, a huge city with many XL1S's and GL2's. I think your best bet is to see one is person, view tape playback in person. This is much faster, much easier, much more revealing and much more reliable than viewing clips online. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #7
Air China Pilot

Iain, I'm in Vancouver with an XL1S. Drop me a line at the contact info you can find on my website.
Old July 4th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #8
Wrangler

Hey, I'm in Vancouver too!
Oh wait I'm really in Coquitlam... I feel so left out.

Ian, Keith Loh and I do some indie productions here and have 3 XL1(s)' between us, light kits, microphones, editing systems, etc.... If you have any great ideas maybe we can help you put them together.
Old July 4th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #9
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : Iain, I'm in Vancouver with an XL1S. Drop me a line at the contact info you can find on my website. -->>>

Thanks, I sent you an email last night actually. I sent it after I realized I knew who your brother was from AVS forum.

EDIT***

I am in Surrey, but people know "Vancouver" when they read it.
Ian Brumm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion