Help! step-up ring hell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Help! step-up ring hell

I was just playing with my wide angle adapters and managed to get one adapter ring stuck to another. I have a metal 43-52 stuck to a plastic 52-kenko adapter. It didn't seem like it was that tight but ...

Here at home, I have no tools whatsover--well, a Leatherman which can't open far enough to be useful.

First I tried hot water--no movement. Then I tried the freezer--I did manage to slice the skin off of my thumb.

Anybody got a clue what the best way to deal with this (on a Sunday) is?

Thanks,
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Never mind. I heated it up again and kept trying it as it cooled. It just spun off like there wasn't a problem.
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #3
Trustee

Andy,

Next time try finding a couple of thin rubber bands.

They don't need to be tight around the filter rings, but even draped carefully and loosely, they'll allow your fingers to put significantly more torque in your hand twisting efforts.

Glad your thermal processed worked. But be careful. Heat and metal and glass can be a poor combination.

Take care.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Trustee

Keep a pair of those pads used to remove stuck jar lids handy. Most are rubber or waffled rubber with patterns that grip good. Use one on the palm of each hand and press firmly against both sides of the stuck rings. Most of the time they will come apart with little trouble.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Major Player

I OWN two of 'em (a Speed Racer and a Pinky and the Brain) but I could only find one--(the Speed Racer one). I contemplated using a mouse pad but its a bit big for this use.

I'm thinking that any kind of oil would be a bad thing. Aside from getting on a lens, I think it would encourage MORE tightening and make it even harder to get apart.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion