Clapper board angled use - why? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Charles, thanks for the insightful and interesting reply.

Just checked my original post at top of this thread and the BBC video clips still play just fine for me....maybe it's a bit like the BBCi Player in that it won't allow non-UK IP addresses to play it?? (I really don't know!)

No matter. Thanks again!
I tried to play the clip, it said it is for UK IP addresses only
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Cutaways & out takes...

Does anyone know how you slate cutaways or 'out-takes' ?
In particular I was wondering how it's chalked up on the slate.

It's hardly a take, but is likely to be part of the scene... somewhere?!

Chris
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #18
Major Player

Another purpose for a tail slate is that if your doing separate sound and you have a drift issue with your recorder on longer takes, the tail slate will allow you to match up the sound length on the timeline by stretching or compressing it to match the initial and tail clapper sticks.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Actually, if you view the Dr Who Confidential clip I linked in the OP it was clapped at 45 degrees from horizontal...which whilst I understand the many and swift responses to my original question (multi-camera/glare etc.), the reasoning for this angle still kind of puzzles me a little.
The wacky angle is because of the genre - this episode's an Ood-dunnit.

Aaaaargh... (FX:exterminated)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Ouch!, yea must 'ave been 'itting the Whisky! I see I'm not the only one working late on a edit then! (ironically, on part of a corporate documentary that I filmed in Scotland only last week!).

Cheers!
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Warwick View Post
Does anyone know how you slate cutaways or 'out-takes' ?
In particular I was wondering how it's chalked up on the slate.

It's hardly a take, but is likely to be part of the scene... somewhere?!
If by "cutaway" you mean something like an insert shot, those should be slated as part of the same scene. Any clip is a "take", regardless of whether actors are in it or not. Certainly this may be shot MOS, or with "series" written in instead of take numbers so that you can repeat a given action (i.e. closeup of hand opening door, or picking up gun etc) while the camera rolls, giving you multiple takes within one slated setup.

Not sure what a planned out-take would be--perhaps something like suddenly spotting a beautiful sunset or gaggle of geese flying overhead and grabbing that shot? A script supervisor would assign a non-sequential scene number (perhaps with an "X") for the slate and make the appropriate notes in the script so that this snippet is not overlooked in the edit, yet it will also not be assigned to the scene in progress.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Not sure what a planned out-take would be--
No Charles, you have answered my question perfectly. I meant 'insert' shot but gave the wrong terminology. Thank you for your reply, it was much appreciated.

I didn't realise you placed take numbers in sequence on insert shots too as part of a scene. Those take numbers must really add up, especially if you're doing different angle-shots, or framed-shots within the same scene.

I thought you might identify them specially since they would mostly be shot MOS.
I wonder would it not make more sense to slate an establishing (master) shot take as 1A, 2A, 3A, etc. Then a CU of say the first actor coverage as 1B, 2B, 3B, etc; CU coverage of the second actor as 1C, 2C, and so on... ?

I can see myself, "Right, Scene 4, take 742 - CU on hand move to grab keys..." (!!!)

Chris
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion