Display date/time code in capture via DV/firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 9th, 2002, 04:30 PM   #1
labviewman

Display date/time code in capture via DV/firewire

I have been searching for an answer to this subject for 3 weeks now, but no luck.

I know the date/time info is in the captured AVI file from the firewire data stream, but I can't find a program that will either display it or capture from the DV camera (via firewire) and write it to the AVI file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Todd
Old March 10th, 2002, 07:34 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Most serious DV editors will do this. My Canopus DVRex RT will. I'm sure comparable products from Matrox and Pinnacle will, also. Plus I'm pretty sure that Adobe Premiere can do it too. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 03:41 PM   #3
labviewman

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised this subject has not come up more often (I've seen a few posts in other sites, but it was never resolved).

Any idea how to do this in Adobe Premiere 6?

Thanks,

Todd
Old March 12th, 2002, 02:03 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

To my knowledge Premiere will do this automatically. When I
capture it shows my timecode from my camera (that I know 100%
sure).... I think it will read it back when opening I file too,
although I'm not 100% sure on that.... I'll have to try.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2002, 07:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Date/Time or Timecode?

Rob, I might be mistaken, but I think Todd was asking about Date/Time of Day information, not Timecode. I have never seen Date/Time data in Premiere and don't know that I would ever use it, but it would be good to know if the data is there somewhere.

If this was not the original question, then I'll ask it. Is Date/Time of Day information included during capture and can this data be displayed by Premiere or any other NLE?
Old March 12th, 2002, 08:25 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Ah... sorry... I misread... I don't know whether that is available
indeed.... hmm.. interesting thought. I just name my files
(or folders, depending on the project) with extra information
as needed (date, time, scene number, take etc.)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2002, 03:55 PM   #7
labviewman

The date info is in the captured data, since when played back to the camera thru the firewire link, the date/time of the captured video is displayed on the camera.

I have 15+ MiniDV tapes I want to convert to DVD, and need to preserve the date information to know when the tapes were shot (i.e. family stuff).

I can't believe this topic has not come up much before, and I can't believe a capture program does not exist to do this since it is part of the firewire data stream.

By the way, the display on the camcorder is configured to display date/time, but it has no effect on the captured video on the PC.

Todd
Old March 12th, 2002, 09:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Using the Matrox 2500, Premiere 6 and MiniDV tapes in a DSR11, the only way I could get the date/time to remain on screen is to capture through the S-Video input. When it is captured using 1394 it will not be displayed on playback.

If there is something I am doing wrong please let me know.

I just used this method on a tape I worked on for an attorney.

Mike
Michael Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2002, 11:19 PM   #9
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

display date time

when i capture a DV clip i can see the date/time when i view on external monitor ( 1394 to dv deck - i use display on deck ) but once i edit and render to a new clip it now has the date /time it was rendered ! original date/time is GONE ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 03:45 AM   #10
labviewman

Well, I guess there is no way to automatically display the date/time the video was captured by the data in the DV to 1394 data stream. If anyone does find an easy cheap way to do this soon, I will gladly pay the person $100, since it will be a pain in the butt for me to go thru the tapes and manually enter the date captured in the avi file.

Any suggestions how to manually put the date in the captured avi file?

Thanks,

Todd
Old March 15th, 2002, 07:07 AM   #11
Major Player

If you just need the clip date for reference in Premiere, you could either rename the bin or individual clip, using the date, or put it in the comments section for each clip. If you want it to display on your video, you could use a transparent title.

The method I use is to name each folder with the venue and date when the clip is captured. Then when it is imported into Premiere, that information becomes the bin name.

If you are using the XL1S, it is possible to burn the date/time information to tape when recording. In this case, it would be visible in your video when captured via firewire but you could not turn it on or off without masking it some way in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion