60 Shutter Speed > Footage Out Of Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 28th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

60 Shutter Speed > Footage Out Of Focus

hi guys. i just shot a video with the shutter speed set to 60. am now importing it into imovie and can see that the crisp and sharp image i had on the lcd panel during recording now looks 10-15% out of focus. is this anyhow related to the shutter speed? would it be different if i set it to 50?

Lord Byron
Aram Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Won't swear that it's the source of your issue but the faster the shutter speed. the wider the iris for a given light level. The wider the iris, the narrower the depth of field for sharp focus. Usually one of people's issues with DV cameras are that they are TOO in-focus due to the deep depth of focus with most of the lenses used, making it difficult to use selective focus as a creative tool.
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Major Player

A lower shutter speed would in fact (probably) force you to stop down the iris, which would in turn make for a wider depth of focus, as Steve explains.

However, I suspect that your camera's viewfinder simply doesn't have enough resolution to tell you whether you're in focus or not. Since you don't mention which camera you're shooting with, it's hard to say for sure.

If your EVF is low-res (as most are in all but the most pricey cameras), things may look very sharp while shooting but in fact turn out to be quite soft. This is where an external monitor with more resolution can be very handy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion