lightscribe printing on dvds. how's it look? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lightscribe printing on dvds. how's it look?

anyone seen dvds printed with lightscribe? i see you print onto lightscribe media that has a colored or non-color (verbatim) media.

has anyone seen how it looks and if the color media looks better with lightscribe type of printing? i want the most professional looking print job.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Trustee

I have it and sometimes use it with the buff colored media. It can look quite professional but works best with a very contrasty B&W image. And on top of that to suit my tastes I had to run each disk through twice.

Took about 40-42 minutes per disk with the designs I used.

Most of the time I use the white colored inkject printable media (I have a HP 5280 "All In One" scanner, copier, and printer that has a slot and tray for printing on disks.

I much prefer that route although for one or two I still occasionally use lightscribe.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

lightscribe

I happened to read a post where someone said they had to run it thru more than once on some media, but not on verbatim which did a much better job.

Are you using verbatim lightscribe media?

I haven't seen anything called "buff" when shopping for the media. They either don't indicate colored, or offer a sampling of 5 colors, red, yellow, blue, green, orange.
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Bruce how do you like the HP 5280? I've been thinking of getting one for my dvd's. Sorry to get off subject.
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Major Player

I too have a HP 5280 and I love it. For the price you can't go wrong.

I used to use Lightscribe but after buying the 5280 I would never use it again. Get the right type of media and it looks beautiful.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gorman View Post
I happened to read a post where someone said they had to run it thru more than once on some media, but not on verbatim which did a much better job.

Are you using verbatim lightscribe media?
We don't get much choice here so it's been either HP or Memorex and the color on both is kind of a light tan.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Cook View Post
Bruce how do you like the HP 5280? I've been thinking of getting one for my dvd's. Sorry to get off subject.
Handiest dang thing I've ever hooked up to a computer. Works as a standard printer, scanner, standalone copy machine, prints on 4x6 photo paper, and on inkjet media faced disks.

This is my second, I had one out of their older 1300 series and it is still working (no printing on disks tho).
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion