JVC GY-DV5100u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC GY-DV5100u

Anyone have any experience with this camcorder? I'm interested in finding out if the electronic anamorphic squeeze this camcorder uses to get widescreen degrades the overall image quality such that it is visable to the naked eye. I like the fact that it has 1/2 inch chips and from the video on the jvc site this camera provides great image control. I have this camcorder's little bro, the jvc gy-dv300u aka streamcorder. It gives me way better footage than my Canon XL-1S does. That's why I'm looking the the DV5100 now. If the dv300u gives me sharp footage then the dv5100u must be better. B&H has this camera packaged with viewfinder and lens for just over 6 grand. The only other 1/2 inch camera under 10 grand is the ex1 and soon ex3. Downside for me with those sony cams is SxS cards.
Rene Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I used to own a 5000-big differences were, 2 XLR inputs not 3 and the DSP on the 5100 was/is a lot better than the 5000. Also I think the 5100 has the 116 viewfinder standard instead of the 115 which I hated.

Anyway, when you shoot it in 16:9 it's not terrible but of course it's not 'real' 16:9 but I did use it sometimes and never heard any complaints. How much it degrades the image? Well I never really noticed it so either it wasn't too bad or I just didn't care but I don't remember it being bad.

I loved my 5000, I wish I could have upped the DSP to the 5100 firmware.
Also though if the camera comes with the Canon 16X and you should ever happen to try the Canon 19X you'll regret not having the 19 at least in my opinion. The 19 is sharper faster and IMO overall a far better lens.
I loved the camera but could never really get it to match up with my Sony's so after a couple of years I let it go. Oh well.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion