.DV Corruption on network copy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Major Player

.DV Corruption on network copy

Hey guys - I've got a really weird problem going on and I am just trying to figure out if anyone else has encountered anything similiar.

I am trying to copy raw .DV stream files across a network to an external RAID 0 - 7 disk raid array in an enterprise level Compaq RAID enclosure. The raid is running 147gig Ultra 320 drives.

After the copy if I load the raw .DV steam in Quicktime what appears like codec errors appear, noise in the audio and pink/multicoloured dots in the video. This is in the actual new copy of the file (if I copy it back to the original place it remains).

This happens even though I am using AASync to copy, which does a checksum, meaning that the files should be EXACTLY the same.

Is this something to do with Raw DV streams being very flaky? (doesn't make much sense to me as I am copying the original to Hard drive from a data DVD it was delivered on - and in this case it copies fine)

Or do you suspect my Raid Array has disk errors and is causing some sort of corruption? (A possibility)

Or is it a function of copying RAW DV files across the network possibly?
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Ok - having done some more testing (i.e copying same DV file onto other RAID 5 arrays in the same manner) I can come to the conclusion that something is definitely up with my RAID 0 Array and I probably need to disassemble it and get the disks checks (no issue as nothing important is on there at the moment).

This experience has taught me two things - RAIDS are relatively tricky to diagnose disk problems with, hence the inherent danger of RAID 0, and that a good way may be to copy across a raw .DV file and look for visible corruption, as more robust file formats seem to survive the transfer ok.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion