Any idea how many productions are made a year? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Any idea how many productions are made a year?

So, I am putting together an investor presentation for a camera rig I am designing and I wanted to figure out how big the industry is either in dollars or productions a year. I can't seem to give the right question to my search engine so I thought I would ask the community. Also, if any of you have any articles or websites to point me to that would be great. Thanks
Norm Becerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That's a very vague question.

Production can cover everything from major motion pictures to low-budget independent productions; national commercials to 30-second spots for small, localized markets; major network series to cable channel specialty shows. It can even cover video presentations for weddings and recordings of stage performances.

You'll need to be more specific to find information that's meaningful to your clients.

As an example, In Hawaii Time/Warner cable has a channel that's dedicated to distributing locally produced programming (OC16.tv). That cable network gets more than 90 percent market penetration because the terrain here quickly attenuates television signals, and each major island is separated by at least 25 miles of ocean. OC16 has more than 40 different programs produced by independent production companies, covering a wide variety of genres. Our show specializes in fishing-related activities and just happens to get the highest viewership of that channel's entire lineup.

I would bet other markets have situations similar to ours, which gives you an idea of how many productions might be on-going in North America. If each state has as many independent television producers as Hawaii's OC16, that's more than 2,000 producers just for local, independent television shows destined for small markets.
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Wow, okay that question is to vague. Actually I just found the MPAA report. http://www.mpaa.org/researchStatistics.asp I think that will work for now.

However, I am interested in the smaller markets as well. Judging by the size of the DV info community there is a significant amount of money in the smaller market as a whole. I am just wondering at how to get at that info without having to pay $600 or more for a market research paper.

$2000, for a local independent TV shows is a mind boggling number to start with.
I think I will just keep with the MPAA info.

Thanks for the reply.
Norm Becerra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion