Amateur stuntwork at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 29th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Amateur stuntwork

I am a 14 year old filmmaker who, I would like to say, is very at coming up with real looking stunts, cheap.

But for my new film, I need to use wirework. I can get the wire, and the rig, but I need a body harness, or something like it.

I searched the net, and I am not going to spend $100 on a body harness. I need to know where I can get a good harness for around 30 bucks, or even an alternative. Where could I go to get one?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Joshua Badour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

At a sporting goods store or mountaineering outfitter's, $30 will buy you the lowest end rappeller's harness, which provides only pelvic support. Why skimp on a support device, when you'll be placing your life in its hands? Or worse, another's life? Give your stunt work the budget it deserves. A fall from even a few feet can prove injurious. Not to mention, the $30 harness will be unpadded and quite uncomfortable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If you are on a budget and need extra equipment for your stunt, just look to your high school sports department. They usually have a number of matts, non-skid surfaces, pads, and possibly even wires and harnesses (for gymnastics). Whenever doing a stunt, remember safety first. Also, if performing the stunt is too dangerous, difficult etc. consider using camera tricks and editing techniques to achieve the same result.
Old July 30th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My stunts are hardly ever dangerous, and if they are, I do them. I've broken a lot of bones, so as long as the shot looks good, I'LL do it.

I'll have to check with my high school...

Thanks for the input guys... Now I just gotta make a decision about what I'm gonna do...
Joshua Badour is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion