Filters and Lenses for Sony HDR-UX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Tourist

Filters and Lenses for Sony HDR-UX1

I own a Sony HDR-UX1 that came with some filters and lenses.

The filters are:
1. Digital 30mm UV
2. Digital 30mm FLD
3. Digital 30mm PL

How and why are these filters used and for what application?

I also received a couple of lenses.

1. 30mm 2.0x Digital Telephoto Lens
2. 30mm 0.45x Digital Wide Len with Macro

Why would I use these lenses with a camera that already has a wide angle to zoom optical lens? What do I gain by attaching these lenses to the installed lens that came with the camera?

Did I get stuff I did not need?

Thanks
Robert Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds like you got the typical "online camera dealer bonus pack"...

These are usually worth about what you paid for them, which is generally advertised as "nothing"... BUT they may or may not be useful...

The built in lens in your camera has a set range - by adding a tele or wide lens to the front, you will alter that range. Depending on the quality of the lens you mount you'll also probably lose some image quality. Whether the added range of the lens is "worth" the image degradation inherent in many cheap lenses is up to you - try both ways and decide.

As for the filters:

UV is usually included as a lens protector, and is supposed to remove some of the UltraViolet spectrum entering the lens - a spectrum you don't normally see anyway, but may affect the image somewhat.

FLD is supposed to compensate for the greenish cast typically given off by FLourescent lights. In theory the in camera white balance should be capable of doing a similar thing...

PL is a polarizer - there are fixed and rotating versions of polarizing filters - the purpose is pretty much the same as sunglasses... to cut glare from glass, water, and other reflective surfaces. I keep a circular (I believe that the right term for a PL filter that rotates, vs. a linear polarizer) polarizer handy when shooting outdoors or for subjects wearing glasses, etc. It also reduces the light reaching the camera, which may be desirable in some situations.

Hope that helps explain the new toys!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Trustee

One correction: A "circular" polarizer does not mean it is one that rotates. I believe all polarizers rotate. The more expensive "circular" models are those designed to work with cameras that use polarized light to focus. I think this is an antiquated method and regular polarizers should work on most cameras as they now use contrast to achieve auto focus. My former VX2000 and my current V1U both work perfectly with a regular polarizer and I saved about $30.

The polarizer is a very useful filter in outdoor situations where you want to bring out color in the sky, water, and foliage. Indoors it just gets in the way as it reduces light getting to the imaging element. Some people like the .45x WA lenses to get a fisheye effect but I am not a fan of that kind of video. The 2x telephoto would be useful for wildlife photography or some sports video with distant action. A 2x telephoto will require the use of a sturdy tripod. The UV filter is not a bad idea as a protective lens, but make sure it is clean and that you watch out for the reflections it, or any filter, can cause to show up in your shots.

Did you purchase your camera from one of the DVinfo.net sponsors? If not, you may have been had by a bait-and-switch routine that advertises low camera prices to get you in but then scams you on high required add-on accesories. If you paid a fair price for all these items and they were something that you really wanted then it wasn't a scam.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion