Are HD television programs shooting interlaced or progressive video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Are HD television programs shooting interlaced or progressive video?

I see tons of programs now are shooting HD video... Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, lots of stuff on History HD and Discovery HD, etc. Many of these programs have a "filmic" look although they are being shot on video (recent episodes of Dirty Jobs comes to mind).

My question is: are they shooting progressive video or are they shooting interlaced video and then processing it in post to make it look like film? If the latter, why not shoot progressive instead? Any program examples you can point to are appreciated.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

All high end HD is being shot in progressive, certainly here in the UK, both documentaries and dramas. In lower end stuff I think it's a bit of both. Something else I think we're seeing is folks shooting progressive on mini camcorders, and shooting it badly, and giving a very unfavourable look, blurry and jerky.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Bill, in the US it's a mix of progressive and interlaced with everything from Sony 900s, XDCAM HD, Panasonic Varicams and 900s down to 200's and Sony Z1's & V1's. The choice of format is subjective and based upon the look the producer wants. In the end the footage is delivered via satellite, cable or over the air at 30fps.
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Major Player

I've spotted a few z1's and v1's on programs like Dallas SWAT and the first 48. I also read in a magazine article that A&E's new show Jacked is using the PMW-EX1.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #5
New Boot

I know a lot of the "reality" shows are using Sony Z1 camera shooting 1080i (there is a behind the scenes episode of Deadliest Catch where they show off all of the goodies)
Brett Beanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Major Player

I understand that the Travel Channel wants their submissions in HDV/1080i, or better. No mention of shooting in progressive.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion