analog captures weird avi at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 25th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

analog captures weird avi

I have a capture device (cheap!) that works- takes VCR video/audio and makes avi's that play on WMP. BUT if I try to edit in Vegas or Premiere or whatever, the avi is seen as audio only! I have a workaround by using Virtualdub and saving as "old avi". Any thoughts? Should I spring for a non cheap capture device (this thing works fine, except for having to transcode every clip which is not quick!)

thanks...
Ron Labbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's using it's own proprietary codec, this means it will not be recognized by these editors. It's good you found a transcoding solution but that just compresses your footage even more. The only solution I can think of is to get a AV-DV like a Canopus ADVC series box. Just capture like you capture a DV tape.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks... it says it's a YUY2 codec. It plays fine in VLC or WMP... odd. I may get one of the USB connectors for $50 or so to save the transcoding pain!
Ron Labbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #4
New Boot

.AVI is not a standard format, it is a container/shell/carrier which can contain almost anything. MiniDV produces DV AVI (D25). Other common .AVI files are DivX, Xvid, MJPEG, MPEG4, Cinepak and GoMotion.

You have to get editor to use the proper codec.

Rich
Rich Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, I understand various codecs need to be installed for editors to work, but I'm surprised players work fine, but not the editors (maybe if I install the YUY2 codec??)

thanks
Ron Labbe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion