HD Delivery for broadcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #1

HD Delivery for broadcast

I did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Hopefully, I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not, my apologies.

If one were to do a program, commercial, or whatever the case may be, for broadcast in HD, what format (medium) would that HD content need to be in for delivery to the broadcaster?

Thanks in advance!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Well Jay, it would be up to the individual broadcaster, but most likely an HDCAM master would be acceptable.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
I did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Hopefully, I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not, my apologies.

If one were to do a program, commercial, or whatever the case may be, for broadcast in HD, what format (medium) would that HD content need to be in for delivery to the broadcaster?

Thanks in advance!
Take a look through the PBS Producers Redbook which you can find on the 'net. It gives all the details of their technical standards which would be a good indicator of broadcaster's standards in general.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You really have to ask the broadcaster; some would accept pretty much any format, some won't. I just talked with a small local station and they told me they made the decision to work exclusively with 720P.

In case this is something that potentially will air on several different stations, I would do it in 1080i and convert from the master if necessary for each individual station.
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

For what we're doing with our local Time/Warner cable provider, we're working out something where we can deliver a show on a hard drive. Swap drives whenever we drop off the next episode.

Still working out what file format is best. But that's the plan so far.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post

Hi Jay,

Asking is the best policy. We do a show for PBS and deliver in HDCAM. But each network has a different requirements. Local commercial requirements get hickey, too.

If you're looking to do a pilot or spec show, go early and often. You really can't get enough information. You don't want to get something in the can you can't air, or worse, your station or network would like to air but it is out of specification.

Good luck and my best,

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion