fake infolithium batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 15th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #1
Tourist

fake infolithium batteries

firts of all, hello everyone I'm new here.

I just came back from shooting in bagdad (and evoiding to be shot back) and there I bought (surprinsingly ) a 7 hour battery for my VX2000 wich I had to give back to the store and they gave me a 9 hours one (npf-960) in return but with the same problem, at firts you get only 107 minnutes of battery the last bar of the indicator keeps blinking and is never "full" after a week of usage the camera display the message (only for infolithium batteries) Do you guys think they sold me a fake one ??? or is there something I dont know?

now I made it safe and sound home and If Im going back there is not to yell at the hummble shop owner..

best regards

Ux
Old August 15th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

What I can tell you is that there have been some serious issues with no-name "fake" lithium-ion batteries causing serious damage to camcorders, which of course voids the manufacturer's warranty. I'd reccomend only name-brand Sony, Panasonic or Canon batts, or a quality third-party manufacturer such as Lenmar. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,

Can you expound on this or tell me where I can get more information about it? When I bought my VX2000s I purchased them from B&H with a couple of Power 2000 (I believe that was the brand, but the B&H site seems to be down now) batteries. They last quite a while, but if they are going to damage my camera I need to know so I can pull them now.

Thanks
Darrell Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Here's what I can tell you. A high-level representative at a major camcorder manufacturer told me that they're getting a number of repair claims stemming from third-party no-name batteries. Camcorders are coming in with half-melted backs, etc. with the no-name batt welded in place from the heat. The warranty is voided due to the use of inferior sub-quality off-brand lithium ion batteries, and the camera owner is out of luck on the repair. I'm told that one of the major camcorder manufacturers has reported a case of personal injury from a defective off-brand battery. Sorry I can't be more specific, but what it boils down to is that you get what you pay for.

Currently I'm using a Lenmar equivalent of the Canon BP-945 battery for my XL1 without problems, but I also had a no-name replacement batt for my PowerShot S230 that went completely bad in about a month. I don't think I'll ever go down that road again... why not spend the extra $20 for the manufacturer's brand and avoid screwing up the camera warranty in case the worst happens. That's my take.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Power 2000 is a good brand of battery. No need to worry about those, Darrell. I use half a dozen myself.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion