Day for night in black and white at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 28th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Day for night in black and white

Hello there,

I've read a lot of the threads about shooting day for night, which I've found useful, but they all seem to be in reference to colour. I'm trying to copy a scene from an old black and white Mexican film from the '40s - it's a typical moonlight serenade.

If it helps...I'm shooting on HDV (hvr-v1) set to monochrome.

The threads seem to say: use a blue filter, but I'm wondering if this is true for black and white. I read an article (Shooting Day for Night) which begins by saying:

"In the halcyon days of black and white movies, day-for-night was easy because a red filter on the lens pumped up the contrast and recorded blue skies as jet black. Under-expose half a stop and you were in business."

For the record, I don't plan to shoot the sky, but moonlight in my Romeo's face would be nice. I'm not looking for the most realistic way to do it... only the most accurate way to replicate the old movies.

This is what I had in mind: YouTube - Cucurucucu Paloma

any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Glen
Glen Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #2
Trustee

What you want to do is best done with lighting. If possible I would shoot at night, with strong (but not harsh) directional lighting on the subjects and allowing the feathered edges of the lighting beams to partially illuminate background elements.

One key to making that work is to have as much separation as possible between the actors and those background elements and possibly a half a stop of underexposure would help. The LCD screen should give you an idea of how close you are coming.

The sample you linked to shows very directional lighting that cast fairly well defined shadows on the patio/pavement.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bruce,

I'll try do some tests. The only problem I wondered about when shooting at night was the creepy crawlies in the blacks, but I suppose if I'm stopping it down, using no gain, I should be ok.

Glen
Glen Maw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion