Trip To Africa! HELP! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Progressive is not a requirement, your editing software will render it out perfectly for the web. Progressive just looks better on a 40" LCD TV.
I currently use final cut express to do most of my editing. Is there a setting I am supposed to use to make it render better for the web? Typically when I upload projects to the internet I have a lot of interlacing issues?

That aside, I'd like to welcome any comments that compare the fx1000 and the XH-A1. For about $300 I could add an XLR adaptor and they would be pretty similar. At least according to the specs it seems like the fx1000 would do a bit better in low-light....and it seems like sony typically designs their sub-$4000 cams to be pretty user friendly (which would be good for our group), whereas I have read that the XH-A1 gets really great images from very well experienced videographers.

However, I realize that regardless, either cam is going to require a lot of practice to use it well.

Any comments on the fx1000 and xh-a1 (and maybe the hmc150)?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM   #32
Major Player

Bribery

Michael indicated that he plans to travel through West-Afrca - Adress - AFRICA,under the Topic- Trip to Africa! Help!

I made a tounge in the cheeck remark regarding this issue having West Africa in mind - Adress - AFRICA.

Chris Oberholtser a seasoned filmmaker from Cape-Town was contracted for a "gospel production" to West-Africa, last year. During his stay, he was constantly subjected to bribes. He obviously refused. A bribe was enforced upon him to the extend that he had to fled the country.

He made it to JHB International with only the clothes on his body and his passport.

Friends and relatives had to provide,shelter,funding and transport to get him back to Cape Town.

Bribery and corruption is a common fact in West Africa and every other African Country
that is poverty stricken. That includes my home country - South -Africa.

My own patriotism is of no issue here -

Helpfull information on Bribery, Corruption in West Africa and other poverty stricken African regions .....

Alleged Bribery And Corruption: Govt Is Not The Culprit

West Africa Trade Hub - Regional report on road corruption maps bribes and delays

CORRUPTION AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING: THE NIGERIAN CASE

Corruption and Bribery ? an African Problem?

Sorry for the poor Enghlish..... Not my native language.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Hello Michael,
I have edited several projects that are very similar to yours.
These projects were shot by members of faith based groups whose main interest are building orphanages and housing for people in need on various islands in the Caribbean. A couple of the videos highlighted the devastation caused by hurricanes on the islands of Haiti and Granada. These videos not only documented the good work done by these organizations, they were also used to raise funds for their relief efforts.

Based on the fact that you are not a professional camera person and the purpose of the trip is to do volunteer work and promote a non-profit relief organization that works with/builds orphanages, I will give you my simple advice from an editor’s point of view based on working with very similar circumstances.

I won’t recommend any particular camera but stay with tape. Carry an assortment of microphones and wind screens. A shotgun mic, a lavalier and a hand held. Bring along a lightweight set of headphones to monitor your audio. A lightweight tripod is a must for documentary type shooting. A whiteboard that can be folded can really come in handy. It can be used for a reflector and also to shield against harsh direct sunlight when interviewing people. If you shoot indoors, you’ll want to use manual iris because an open window in the background will ruin your shots. A small camera light to light up the subject and a battery powered portable video light that can be used by your assistant for the background. You want to travel light so you can enjoy the experience.

Each day you shoot, plan your shots as to how you want your finished product to look.
In a nutshell, clean audio, steady shots, controlled lighting for each scene and pre planning for what you are doing does not have to be expensive. This should put you in position to work within your budget and accomplish your mission.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM   #34
Major Player

Thank you Allen! What you described of what you have done in the past is quite similar to what we are wanting to accomplish. Your advise really means a lot.

Anyone know of a better place to get a tripod than B&H? I'm hoping to find one for about $400 but I really don't want to go less than a 503 head and I don't really want a spreader. I am fine with buying used if it's in good condition.

These are the two bogen/manfrotto systems that I have been looking into:

503hdv head with 055 legs : $467
bo055xb503h | B&H Photo Video

503hdv head with 190 legs : $435
Bogen / Manfrotto | BO190XDB503HD 190XDB Pro Tripod with 503HDV

P.S. Comparisons of fx1000 and xh-a1 are still welcome if anyone has some input :)

Last edited by Michael Kraus; October 22nd, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #35
Major Player

Any insight concerning the two tripods I mentioned?

Any better suggestions?
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #36
Regular Crew

As for the tripods you are looking at... i noticed that neither have a leveling ball... i would highly suggest getting one with this feature, as it could quickly become a HUGE pain to get a level horizon.
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #37
Major Player

Is a leveling ball different from a leveling bubble?
Old November 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

Yes.

A leveling bubble helps you determine when your tripod is level.

A leveling ball allows you to level a tripod, quickly and easily, without adjusting the length of the tripod legs. This is a "half ball" and a clamping device which allows you to adjust the level of the tripod head, without adjusting the tripod legs.

A leveling ball allows you to obtain a level condition in just seconds. In my opinion, this is a must for quick setups.

If you are in a studio, possibly on a level floor, possibly on a dolly, you may not need a leveling ball.

In the field, with many setups, it is a wonderful feature.
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #39
Major Player

Thank you Dan and John. Any suggestions on a decent tripod with a leveling ball?
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Tripod

No video tripod expert here but as for a light travel kit, you'd likely be fine with the Bogen 501HDV vs. the 503 if need be with those cameras and spend the extra on a leveling system. This allows you to quickly level the head regardless of the leg lengths/angles. An absolutely must have in my opinion. Something like the Bogen Compact Leveling Head: Bogen / Manfrotto | 438 Compact Levelling Head - Ball | 438 should get the job done for you.
I used the 501 for a couple years with a Z1u and it got the job done as long as I limited my long zooms and pans.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #41
Major Player

Thanks james. So I guess I would be sacrificing smoother pans for a more efficient setup if i went with the 501/leveling head instead of the 503hdv. I'll definitely be considering this.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Take my advice for what it's worth. As a traveling photojournalist (still photog) I'm always most concerned with staying light and fast and my choices of gear seem to always reflect that. A lot of pros will sniff at anything less than a $1000+ head, but in my limited experience, CONTENT really is king. So, you when you make budget decisions, I recommend you stay focused on using the money where it will have the most positive impact on your content.
Good luck.
(edit) - BTW: That Bogen 055 you mentioned has an optional leveling column, the Manfrotto 555B that is an extremely fast set-up for leveling whatever head you choose. It's about $115.
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Gifts for the kids

When I was over there, I took several thousand stamps with me. The kids loved them, and it is very east to carry and they weight nothing. I am sure you can buy or collect used stamps very easy.

Good luck, maybe I should come with you?????
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Burgener View Post
When I was over there, I took several thousand stamps with me. The kids loved them, and it is very east to carry and they weight nothing. I am sure you can buy or collect used stamps very easy.

Good luck, maybe I should come with you?????
I assume that you mean the sticker kind of stamps and not the lick and stick? What exactly did they do with the stamps?

Haha, maybe you should come with us??? We actually had a few people drop out it recently so uh....
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM   #45
Tourist

Hi,

I find some of this info worthwhile and some of it not so.

I have lived in Africa for 20 years as a freelance cameraman and for the last 4 in Senegal.

I feel that you are over-thinking the whole shoot as its more of an adventure than a pro shoot where the results are highly critical and it needs to be shot in a shorter time frame. Remember that you have a lot of time and therefore you will get better with you gear and as the weeks go by.

As it sounds you are going to shoot a stack of footage remember that if you have lots of it you need to remember the basics, steady shoots, wide, medium, tight, good audio, good composition.

As to the 2 cameras issue I have only ever been on a couple of shoots that used 2 cameras and I never "missed" anything important on a one camera shoot. 2 cameras just means more batteries, use the money on other things.

Good luck, have fun and drop me an email if you want some more info.
Tom Sampson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion