Analog quality vs DV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 22nd, 2003, 04:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Analog quality vs DV?

How good/bad is the picture quality of analog pro camcorders compared to prosumer DV (if captured via Canopus A/D converter) ?

I might get my hands on Sony DXC-325P (1/2" 3 ccd) with EVV-9000P back (Hi8) and Canon lens for a _very_ cheap price.

I know I would have to get the A/D converter and possibly use another audio hardware for recording sound. But it's tempting nevertheless, if just for the 1/2" CCD, BW viewfinder and a real lens with real focusing.

Has anyone used this camera ? Or some other analog system with A/D converter? What's the picture quality like?

What does the resolution/quality depend on?

If the tape system is the weakest link, could the picture be improved if it's being connected straight out of the camera to a A/D converter and then to a small dv camcorder?
Jami Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 04:40 AM   #2
Outer Circle

If you want similar resolution from a analog to DV converted signal, might I suggest looking at beta?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 09:10 AM   #3
Contributor

You could probably get a BetacamSP back for that camera, but then you'd have to get a Betacam SP deck too, and by today's standards that camera isn't going to look all that wonderful. However, if it's cheap enough it might be worth a look. I used to see some fairly good Hi8 stuff. The look is different, and is going to be much grainier and noisier than what you're accustomed to seeing today. That camera was a very good deal for the money in its day.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 01:05 PM   #4
Major Player

You might like to consider adapting (SVideo) the camera head to pump into one of those portable D8 recorders (GVD200/800) which you could mount on a waist band/belt

the picture would be very sweet indeed @700lines

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi,
A couple things. I think the 325 was only 500 lines. There was a 327 that was 700 lines. Also, were not the both of them
AC power only (i.e. no battery option)? Also, isn't the GVD200/800 for some reason limited to recording 500 lines max?
Dave
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 06:07 PM   #6
Warden

They both could be powered either AC or DC. The 500 line limit is based on the tape bandwidth in most cases. The 325 was a fairly stripped down model. I was not impressed with it's image quality when it was new. I doubt it really measures up by today's standards. The price needs to be pretty cheap or you may be disappointed..

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion