Vimeo Copyright/Useage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Vimeo Copyright/Useage

From their site.

Quote:
VIMEO shall be entitled to unrestricted use of any Submission for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the submitter.
Perhaps this has been posted before. Sorry if it's a repeat.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

And your point is?
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I don't understand the nature of the post. The policy you've quoted is pretty much standard operating procedure for any large video hosting site. Is there a question here?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Trustee

YUP upload and give away all of your rights, you tube are already selling your clips to broadcasters and you get zip!
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Major Player

My point was to hopefully incite discussion.

If this is the norm for hosting sites, I wasn't aware of it until now, and I found it a bit alarming and interesting.
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Have to vote with Derek on this one. I don't mind a web video site selling ads but having unrestricted access and the ability to profit from other people's work without compensating the actual creator is ridiculous and in my mind criminal. I've started reviewing the terms of service agreements more thoroughly and pulled several videos.
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Major Player

I must admit that I hadn't noticed this. It stinks.
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I don't understand the nature of the post. The policy you've quoted is pretty much standard operating procedure for any large video hosting site. Is there a question here?
will dvinfo have similar policies for video hosting when it becomes available?
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
Have to vote with Derek on this one. I don't mind a web video site selling ads but having unrestricted access and the ability to profit from other people's work without compensating the actual creator is ridiculous and in my mind criminal. I've started reviewing the terms of service agreements more thoroughly and pulled several videos.
You overlook the fact that no one is required to post to sites with such policies. If you don't want to relinquish your control over future distribution of the piece in question, simply don't post it there and find some other way to get it into the public eye if that's your objective. In exchange for making your video available to the public at no charge to you, you give them the right to redistribute your work. They have compensated you by providing free hosting and distribution. They have to make a profit somewhere. If that's an unacceptable exchange for you, don't play in that ballpark. You're free to choose other venues.
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Plowman View Post
will dvinfo have similar policies for video hosting when it becomes available?
Similar as in "entitled to unrestricted use of any Submission for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the submitter?" Heck no. I'm obstreperous but not draconian. I haven't written the TOS yet, but it'll most likely be something along the lines of "we're hanging banners on these pages; otherwise we can't afford to host all this video." Hopefully that's reasonable.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #11
Inner Circle

So are there any well-known video hosting sites which don't claim all rights to content posted on their servers?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I haven't written the TOS yet, but it'll most likely be something along the lines of "we're hanging banners on these pages; otherwise we can't afford to host all this video." Hopefully that's reasonable.
That sounds very reasonable Chris.

I notice that the Vimeo terms also include this:
'For any Submission that is a video, the licenses granted by you herein shall terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete such Submission from the Site.'
which potentially sounds much more reasonable.
It depends upon whether you can define a 'commercially reasonable time'? This form of words seems a bit difficult to nail down.
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You overlook the fact that no one is required to post to sites with such policies. .
Steve,

The only reason I posted this was to hopefully inform those who were unaware.
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Regular Crew

If I'm not mistaken, YouTube's default TOS gives them the rights to use material for their own promotion/internal use only. You can set syndication options for each video you upload to either deny or allow them to distribute content to third parties. Their terms may have changed since I read them last, however.

Nevertheless, I think that placing any work, in its entirety, that you plan to sell or license commercially on a video sharing service is not a good business move. Web hosting is so cheap nowadays that if you're serious about getting the word out about your work, putting it up on your own site is not that much of a burden. 10 or 20 bucks a month will get you more bandwidth than you will probably ever use, unless your video is encoded at 20mbps and/or becomes the next viral sensation. If a presence on YouTube or Vimeo is desired, you can put a few short snippets and previews up and link over to your site where the 'meat' of the material is.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #15
Trustee

I suspect that all this will change soon as rights and copyright issues are starting to be addressed by people like PRS/PPL and ofcom as they move to licence web media.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion