Off to the HD Races...suggestion. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Off to the HD Races...suggestion.

Hi Everyone.

I am sure this pot has been stirred before...but why not again?

I am making the switch from a formidable Sony SD to an HD camera. I use Final Cut Express mostly. My budget is 3200.00 Given the parameters of these aforementioned criteria. Is there a camera that seems to be "HOT" in this range with this system.

I am running FCE on a MacBook Pro 2.5GHZ Core 2 Duo with 4 Gigs of Ram, Gforce 8500 card with 512 of VRAM.

Would you be so kind as to "Help a Brutha" with some suggestions?

Thanks!

--C
Chuck Doud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Major Player

You will not get a response on this. Just research and find what fits your needs.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/open-dv-d...uy-thread.html

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Trustee

In this budget are these three cameras with overall equal but dissimilar performance.

Canon XH-A1 - $3000 1/3" CCD imager with XLR input
Sony V1 - $3000 1/4" CMOS imager with XLR input
Sony FX1000 - $3200 1/3" CMOS imager with 1/8" audio jack

They are all HDV. I think the CMOS chips have better color. The FX1000 is likely the best in low light but lacks XLR audio. The Canon is very popular with better low light than the V1 by a slight but noticeable margin. The V1 has a better screen than the Canon but not as much color/image customization. Other than these traits, it will be up to personal preferences like weight balance and control placement.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Canon XH-A1S is a bit out of the budget and will be released soon - 3999 - but it has some improvements and you may also be able to get a used XH-A1 at substantially reduced prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
In this budget are these three cameras with overall equal but dissimilar performance.

They are all HDV. I think the CMOS chips have better color. The FX1000 is likely the best in low light but lacks XLR audio. The Canon is very popular with better low light than the V1 by a slight but noticeable margin. The V1 has a better screen than the Canon but not as much color/image customization. Other than these traits, it will be up to personal preferences like weight balance and control placement.
Mike Brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post

I'm looking in the same market and seriously looking at the Panasonic AG-HMC150.
Street price is about $3400 right now.
No tape, it uses low cost SDHC cards.
AVCCAM instead of HDV which I understand gives better quality, but you need more horsepower in your editing machine than HDV.

HTH,
Bob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion