Advice on purchasing Century Optics Fisheye lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Advice on purchasing Century Optics Fisheye lens

Although I don't shoot skateboarding or other Xtreme sports, I have been intrigued by the Century Precision Optics Mark II 0.3x Ultra Fish-eye Adapter Lens for my pair of SONY HC7's.

I shoot the gamut of web video ads, wedding documentary videos, etc. I'm not sure I would have a use for this lens - yet. But I wanted to see if anyone has this lens and what they use it for - do you get much use out of it?

Thanks and Happy New Year - let's hope 2009 is a better year for all of us :)
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Cliff -

Had one, thinking it might be useful... decided after a while to sell it...

Keep in mind the distorted view that you get with a fisheye is a sort of "special effect" - you get close to a 180 degree view in a regular 16x9 frame... it was just a bit too much for my taste, and I've got some good (HG) .7x and adequate .6x WA's.

I think my overall take on it is that it adds too much CA and distortion and blurry-ness to the outside edges... it's great if you have to shoot close in on a subject and want the "extreme" look, otherwise, it's an expensive toy.

I'm of the age that skateboarding and jumping out of perfectly good aircraft and such just doesn't have the charm it once may have... were I doing that sort of thing, I think I'd have loved the lens <wink>!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the advice - makes sense... ;)
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #4
New Boot

Re: Advice on purchasing Century Optics Fisheye lens

Hello, I know this is 5 years late, but I thought I'd just offer my two cents on this subject.

Being a skateboarding filmer myself, I use my fisheye on around 70% of my shots. But I usually try to do double angles - one telephoto and one fisheye, but only when I have another filmer to coordinate with.

While at first when I got my fisheye I thought I wouldnt use it much for anything else, but I've found it to be very useful when doing a party shoot, for close ups of DJ's and dancing girls, then take off the adaptor to use the normal lens.
Roger Oconnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion