Windows media player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Windows media player

I am having problem with Windows media player on my encoded HD footage.
Anybody else have this problem?

What media player is recommended for HD footage?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Try VLC player. It plays just about anything.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Major Player

That is exactly what the folks at Adobe told me to do. However, the picture quality looks bad.

??
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
I am having problem with Windows media player on my encoded HD footage.
Anybody else have this problem?

What media player is recommended for HD footage?
What problem? Could be a million things, so clue us in. My WMV encoded files play just fine.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Major Player

I am a newbie to HD.

I am getting a poping noise and delayed/jittery footage when I encode with anything H264. I get the same with anything that has the sound included. However, if I use MPEG2 with no sound I get great footage...with the sound the problem occurs again.

However, regardless of what I use the file plays fine in my NLE editing windows (Premire Pro CS3)

WMV files seem to be fine although the motion blur is bad. ( I think this is more of my frame rate though)

I have never had this problem with SD footage? The player works fine with all HD footage that has been scaled down to SD also...

just confused??
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Well,

At least now we know that you are using CS3. That's a big help. So let's start with the basics.

1. What kind of machine are you on? PC/Mac. What CPU speed? What disk configuration?
2. How much RAM is in the machine?
3. When you render to WMV, what settings are you using? What frame size (1920x1080 or 1280x720)
4. What camera did the footage come from? Was it shot interlaced or progressive?

Sounds to me that you are using some bad encoding settings and it's causing some problems, or your system is too slow for playback with HD video.

Answers to the questions above will solve some of the guesswork.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Well,

At least now we know that you are using CS3. That's a big help. So let's start with the basics.

1. What kind of machine are you on? PC/Mac. What CPU speed? What disk configuration?
PC
AMD Quad Core 9600 2.3Ghz

Disk configuration?? Not sure I am just using the internal partitioned C drive. (My external dies last week before I started HD ing)

2. How much RAM is in the machine?
4.0 GB (64 Bit Vista system)

3. When you render to WMV, what settings are you using? What frame size (1920x1080 or 1280x720)

Basic setting's
1080p 24f HighQuality
Output = 1920x1080

4. What camera did the footage come from? Was it shot interlaced or progressive?
I shot 60i, 1/60 (too slow I think) on a Canon XHA1

Sounds to me that you are using some bad encoding settings and it's causing some problems, or your system is too slow for playback with HD video.

Answers to the questions above will solve some of the guesswork.
For what it is worth. Playback of other peoples files is fine on this PC.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
For what it is worth. Playback of other peoples files is fine on this PC.
Trying to render to your system drive is a no-no. Trying to render to the system drive when that is also where the source file is... well, I am surprised it worked at all.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #9
Major Player

If I understand you correctly.
I can only render to the system drive if the source file is in the same directory?
(which is what I got)

Should I try and external drive or a partitioned one?

Do you think this computer speed is enough?
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Computer speed is fine.

But you need to seperate the drives where you store and render your video, from where the operating system is located. Keep your video off drive c:\.

Partitioning does not make any difference. You want that stuff on a separate physical drive. And if possible you want a separate physical drive from where your source video is, and where you are writing the new stuff to.

I break this rule on my laptop, but it's really not recommended. I think this can cause some issues, but honestly, I think there is something else going on as well. Not sure what to tell you though. Maybe someone with Premiere can help you more.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Major Player

OK.
I actaully have a 500GB HDD out trying to get files recovered. I will replace it and see the problem went away.

I will have it connected with FireWire. I have a 100G external that is USB. I assume this will slow it too much also.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have a 100G external that is USB. I assume this will slow it too much also.
I'd certainly try that. Put the source file on it and render to the internal drive.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #13
Major Player

I have not had much time to spend on this yet today. But the initial results are BINGO!
I have encoded a file on my external and it is the best one I have had in HD so far.

I think you nailed it.

Thanks for the help.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Glad to hear it. Hope that all works uot for you. :)
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Major Player

I actually started a new thread. If you have a chance and an opinion I would be interested in it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/high-defi...tml#post989813
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion