Importing HDV...a better way than final cut? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Importing HDV...a better way than final cut?

Is there a better way (less compression) of importing HDV to the Mac with less compression and then moving the files to Final Cut to use it for what it was made for (editing).

I am using a Sony V1u....

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

--Chuck
Chuck Doud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Major Player

What is the problem you are trying to solve with such a workaround? Because the compression that your HDV footage has undergone cannot be undone- you aren't re-compressing with firewire capture, but simply transferring data.

Depending on your hardware configuration you can certainly transcode HDV to ProRes 422 or other higher-data rate formats, but remember they have their own costs.

Because HDV is a breeze to edit on my machine, and because I don't gain anything except file size by converting it on-capture, I edit in HDV and render in ProRes 422 to get the best of both worlds.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Benjamin,

Thanks! I have read the manuals...and I am not sure if it is "final cut pundits" (everyone has their favorite programs; some talk viciously of all others)...and I had been told a few times both on the boards and in person to "Never import using final cut" and "get a better import program"...course, that was by those using other systems.

I, however, like Final Cut right now as it serves my needs. Could you tell me more about prorez? Links? Info? Whatever you have will be eternally appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts.

--C
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Chuck,

As with most things in line, you have to use what works for you. If you're good with importing via fcp then don't change. I usually try to read what everyone else is saying and then use that info to figure out what's best for me. As they say: there are many ways to obtain a naked cat.

You can read up on prores on the apple site or in the manuals.

FWIW, I use fcp for all my importing... sometimes HDV, sometimes transcode to prores on ingest... sometimes something else. It just depends on what I'm trying to achieve.

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike,

Thanks!

I am pretty swift on the uptake so all the info you give; even in conversation gives me info to digest, which, is awesome. Thanks for that.

My challenge with all of this is that for years I directed and produced...and since moving to VA 8 years ago, have had to learn to do it all myself. It's exciting learning how to 'do' what I used to ask for...and gives me a much more cast respect for those in the field doing the work.

Thanks again for giving some input; it's folks like yourself and others that make learning fun.

--C
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Doud View Post
Benjamin,

Thanks! I have read the manuals...and I am not sure if it is "final cut pundits" (everyone has their favorite programs; some talk viciously of all others)...and I had been told a few times both on the boards and in person to "Never import using final cut" and "get a better import program"...course, that was by those using other systems.

I, however, like Final Cut right now as it serves my needs. Could you tell me more about prorez? Links? Info? Whatever you have will be eternally appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts.

--C
Read a white paper on ProRes here:

Apple - Final Cut Studio 2 - Final Cut Pro 6 - Broad Format Support

At every forum you will get conflicting opinions (HDV is terrible! HDV is awesome!) so as you are already know you have to take advice in context; educate yourself best as you are able with source information; and let your priorities as a filmmaker determine your workflow.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Doud View Post
...and I had been told a few times both on the boards and in person to "Never import using final cut" and "get a better import program"...course, that was by those using other systems.
Don't know who these "pundits" may be. Just to put your mind at ease FCP is used in major motion pictures, for broadcast and cable production and obviously by a great many corporate, university and small video producers. I just finished an HD doc shot on XDCAM HD, HDV & DVCAM all edited in ProRes422(HQ) on FCP. The final output was HDCAM and I just signed a deal for global distribution of the doc. Hopefully you'll see it on History Ch. or PBS by the end of the year.

Here's a simple way to separate the "experts" from the wannabee "pundits" on this forum and others. Click on the "name" of the expert on the left and then click on "View Public Profile." After that it's really easy to tell the BS'ers from the guys who actually do this for a living.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion