YouTube Copyrights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Major Player

YouTube Copyrights

Does anyone know the details of CopyRight issues with YouTube?
I have some football highlights set to music and some times the site does not accept it and some times it does. (Same songs)

They are also directing the viewer to buy the song that I am using on iTunes.

Anyway? I have no idea why some of my videos are blocked and some are not. If you have any idea I am curious to hear your experiences.
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know all the details, but this article seems to sum it up:

YouTube Copyright System Gone Mad, EFF Prepares to Sue - ReadWriteWeb

In a nutshell, it seems that the automated tools are not quite perfect...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Agreed; the cause for the variance is most likely due to discrepancies within YouTube's automated copyright protection technology. The process by which YouTube detects copyright infringement seems to be far from perfect.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Guy, I'm assuming you have the band's permission to use their music on your highlights reel? If not you are misusing the band's intellectual property and are violating their copyright.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Rick,
Actually No. When I started this little project it was for a football banquet and not Youtube.
Anyway, at the rquest of some parents I put it up in the fall. Once Youtube went HD, I wanted to upload it again for the HD version. But now it wont play the music. It is not a big deal and I should not have done it in the first place. However, why did it work then and not now?
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Perhaps the band/copyright holders flagged the video?
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
Rick,
Actually No. When I started this little project it was for a football banquet and not Youtube.
Anyway, at the rquest of some parents I put it up in the fall. Once Youtube went HD, I wanted to upload it again for the HD version. But now it wont play the music. It is not a big deal and I should not have done it in the first place. However, why did it work then and not now?
Probably for the same reason you could speed through a particular stretch of highway yesterday without getting caught but if you try it today they might be running radar and you might get a ticket. It's the luck of the draw ...

FYI, it wasn't legal when it was for only "for a football banquet" either. There are so many sources of low cost or free, good sounding, royalty-free music to use that there's simply no excuse for anyone to fudge it, even when it's very likely you'll get away with it because only a few people will see it. Respecting the intellectual property rights of your brother and sister media professionals generates good karma to get your's respected in return. If you simply refuse to use unlicensed copyright materials in your productions no matter what, you'll never have to worry about issues such as YouTube's policies.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Just a suggestion. I shoot video of my daughter's dance competition team when we are allowed at certain competitions. Most of the time they have a company there, but some allow a single camera from each school. Anyway, I wanted to be able to put the dance pieces on a site that could be viewed by parents and family, but the dance director is very protective of her choreography. I ended up putting them into a secured folder on my Webshots account. They have been offering video for a couple of years. For people to see it, they must have a certain link. I then sent that link to the parents who in turn were allow to share it with family and friends. I also put a disclaimer that it was just for team use and if anybody violated sharing the link and making it public, then the videos would be taken down. They aren't offering HD yet, but I thought that it was a good compromise.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
To use Steve's analogy, what David is doing is putting a radar detector in his car. No less illegal, just less likely to get caught.
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Major Player

I have actually moved mine to Facebook. That way I can control who views it and the site has a surprisingly good HD video player.

My original question was more about wondering the details of the copyright detection software. I have seen the site actually detect the 3rd party copyright and still allow it. Sometimes it detects it and disables the sound other times it never detects it.

Does the site have a library of songs that can be used.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
I have actually moved mine to Facebook. That way I can control who views it and the site has a surprisingly good HD video player.

My original question was more about wondering the details of the copyright detection software. I have seen the site actually detect the 3rd party copyright and still allow it. Sometimes it detects it and disables the sound other times it never detects it.

Does the site have a library of songs that can be used.
I think you should contact YouTube and ask. Since it's always possible that a posting contains copyright music that has in fact been properly licensed and thus is legal, there has to be a mechanism of some sort available to allow it to remain.

The best workaround is simply to refuse under any circumstances to include copyright music in your productions without proper clearance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion