Hey, I made the news! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 10th, 2003, 10:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

Hey, I made the news!

Those who read this website know that I'm a lawyer with a strong interest in video. Well, tonight I became a news cameraman! Arnold Schwarzenegger was attending a private fund raiser party on the roof of a house across the street from the high-rise apartment I'm renting in San Francisco. I broke out my VX2000 and shot about 15 minutes of ole Arnold pumping hands and puffing cigars. My apartment is a couple of hundred feet away, so I had to shoot at extreme zoom, and it was handheld (my tripod is still in Los Angeles).

After Arnold left, I went downstairs and told one of the reporters what I had. Well, it seems I'm the only one who got video of the actual party, and the reporter thought what I shot was pretty good. He took a feed from my camera, sent it in to the Fox affiliate in San Francisco, and it will be on the news at 10 tonight!

So . . . I'm a news cameraman!

I don't think I'm quite ready to quit my day job, though. ;)
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Hey! That's great! I was on the news yesterday---the local news stuck a camera and a reporter in my face and asked questions about the homeless living in Stanley Park. (I looked older than I thought.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #3
Warden

Frank, maybe they thought you looked homeless, like that other Panasonic user on your site.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Nice job, Paul.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:10 PM   #5
Wrangler

Good stuff!
Not what I had in mind when I read the topic to this thread though. I imagined something more along the lines of shutting down Kazaa. ;)
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Way to go Paul!! Whawhoooo... keep up the good work you video gorilla you :-)
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Jeff, naaa. I was coming out of the Bentall Centre, a large 4-plex business complex in downtown Vancouver. Plus I was clean shaven with my grey hair freshly brushed back. That other guy? Oh, that would be Pokey, collecting bottles to save up for a MX5000. Click here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/mx5000ad.jpg

The only reason poor Pokey is collecting bottles is because Arnie yanked Terminator 3 out of Vancouver to gain brownie points with Californians. :)
Old September 11th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Paul, if you don't mind me asking, did you get money out of them for it?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Frank, I saw you.
And as someone who works at the aquarium in stanley park, my out look is a little different then that of the general public. I've seen german websites which suggests that tourists camp in stanley park.

Acording to the last count made by the fedral government, the population of Stanely Park is 53. That, 53 people who shouldn't be there.

When I see a group of them smoking up in the bush and inform then of the park wide fire ban they tell me to F off and such. So I have no respect for these people.

The parks board doesn't try very hard to enforce local bylaws, they even gives them free showers.

and when the police say that it is too difficult to find these homless fokes, there just giving the public another BS reason for not kicking them out. I can show you where a groupd of at least twenty squaters are; they have a huge tent city between piple line road and beaver lake.
Old September 11th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Quote:
I've seen german websites which suggests that tourists camp in stanley park.
My father too, along with his mother and younger sister had to live in the woods, always moving, eating mushrooms, bark and grass, during Nazi Germany...and then finally they got caught.
Quote:
When I see a group of them smoking up in the bush and inform then of the park wide fire ban they tell me to F off and such. So I have no respect for these people.
Hehehe, if you walked into my yard ordering me not to smoke, well, I'll leave it at that. :)

A few years ago, I picked up 2 young guys on the road and gave them a ride to Vancouver. From just around Medicine Hat. They were young students from Quebec. They kept asking me about Wreck Beach. I let them stay for 3 days, and then told them that they can camp in the woods within a short walking distance from Wreck Beach. (For free) So I gave them a lift and showed them where. That was around the beginning of June. After a few months had past, around August 28, they gave me a phone call. "Hey, Frank, we've been here living at Wreck Beach all summer. We have to be heading back. Can we come over to clean up, and pack up? Maybe even give us a ride to the TransCanada?" "Sure, I said!" When they came over, they were blacker than Hell, and happier than Hell, and told me that they had the best summer ever! But now it was time to head back to University, in Quebec. :)

When someone shouts F-off at me, that's what I do, I walk away smiling. I'm not going to let someone get me angry. Just remember: sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. :):):)
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:47 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Give 'em hell, Frank!

Congrats, Paul! That's quite a score! Well done. Hope it makes the national feed.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, I not really too angry. Im just woried about my job security.
Old September 12th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #13
Regular Crew

congratulations

but please, please, please tell me you got paid and it was just a market exclusive you gave and if the nationals want it you will get paid also.......
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #14
Wrangler

Unfortunately, my only pay (and all that I asked for) was a dupe of the spot as it was aired. Video is just a hobby for, albeit an obsessive and expensive one. I was flattered that they wanted to use my shots at all. I didn't give them an exclusive -- actually I didn't give them anything, other than an implied license to air the video once. I don't think it's of enough interest to attract the national media.

Now, when I finally finish my India video, that's another story -- that one is something I'd like to market commercially.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #15
Outer Circle

You should have got paid. These guys are probably now going to sell your footage to the highest bidder. Don't be surprised if your footage shows up again, on a different program in a month or 2.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion