Copying 16mm movies off screen with HV30- how to? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Copying 16mm movies off screen with HV30- how to?

Hello,

One of the first things I wanted to do when I got my Canon HV30 was to load up my ancient 16mm movie projector, set up a screen, and video (digitize) tape my old art school projects.

I think this might be called really poor mans telecine.

Please, before you say that it pretty cheap to have stuff digitaly transfered which I am aware, I just don't have the dough for all the stuff I want to "transfer".

I know there is a way to do this, and I am looking for any kind of guidance that could make these look acceptable. Things like what shutter speed on camera, frame rate, etc. I am liking the feel of Canon's HDV30p. All the projected film would be at 24fps, and all of my films are MOS.

Has anyone done this that can advise me? Sure would be nice to see what I looked like when my hair was black...

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Hmmm...in the old days back in the newsroom, we'd take an 8.5 x 11 piece of printer paper, and tape it to the wall in landscape orientation. Then, get the movie projector or slide projector so close to the wall that the image stayed inside the paper's boundaries.

This seemed to give it the best brightness and sharpness. Then you just have to orient the camera as dead on to the wall as possible, and shoot right over the top of the projector.

No the most elegant solution, but it works in a pinch.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bill.

I'm wondering if there is an optimal setting(s) for a video cam set-up that I should be aware of to avoid flickering. Just want to do the best job with what little I have.

I'm wondering if the camera placement should be offset a litlle from dead on to avoid the projector bulbs "hot spot". Or maybe that's not the case.

Anyone else?

Thanks again.

Jonathan
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Search "poor man's telecine" - long thread on the subject, lots of tips.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Terrific. Thanks Richard. I'm pouring through right now. Thanks for the helpful hint.

Jonathan
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Major Player

After reading much of the info I found, I'm thinking that maybe I should wait and save some money and have it professionally transfered. I found a couple of places that charge about .21 cents US per foot transfer in HD. And they are sort of in my backyard.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion