Bad Sony? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Bad Sony?

Hi,

Anyone else noticed how Sony seem to false advertise?

Example 'Full 1080 HD camcorder' when it's 1080i, and in one of there '10 megapixel stills' camcorders it's effectively only half that..

Anybody noticed that? I find Sony are doing it a lot, exaggerating specs on products etc?

Mike
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Major Player

"Full" is subjective with any manufacturer. It doesn't imply 1080 progressive, neither does it imply a horizontal resolution of 1920. The only requirement seems to be that it have a vertical resolution of 1080.

Compression, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio are secondary to the "Full HD" terminology, it seems.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Check the local HD broadcast signal. I'll bet you real money it's 1080i. Check what's coming in from DiscoveryHD, NatGeo, etc. All 1080i. If they get to call it full 1080, why shouldn't Sony? Why do non-progressive cameras from other manufacturers get to SAY progressive just because of how they process the signal? Why do Panasonic get to tout cameras as 1080p when they have 960x540 sensors? And I am not talking in the consumer lines either, I am talking about cams in the $5k-$10k range.

It's a world of gray out there. And Sony is no more guilty than anyone else.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Full HD means only that it's 1920x1080, and that can certainly include 1080i.

You're not stating which 10mp camera model specifically, but it doesn't matter; we just don't go down such roads on this site. It's not "misleading advertising" as much as it is a simple misunderstanding of what certain marketing terms mean (such as Full HD, effective pixel counts, etc.).

It doesn't matter if Sony claims a 10mp image from up-res & interpolation, and it doesn't matter if it's a poorly done implementation... the fact is that it does indeed put out a 10mp image, regardless of how it happens or how poorly it's done. Around here it's certainly allowable (heartily encouraged, in fact) to point out how it's done and / or how poorly it's done, but we're not going down the "false advertising / intentionally misleading" road here. We're keeping it technical. For better or for worse, the truth is that it records a 10mp image as claimed.

You can ask for a clarification of terms, but to imply that a manufacturer is being purposefully misleading is not only inaccurate but offensive, especially when it's *no different from any other manufacturer* in how those terms are used. Around here we call that trolling. Case closed,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion