Format Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Format Help

Help - I have owned and enjoyed my XL2 over the years, but tried to move up to a HD format in the XH-A1. While I still have lots to learn, I've grown unhappy with the long GOP format of HDV and the compromises that are involved. Despite the newer format and highly regarded reviews of the XH-A1, it's resale value isn't much different from my XL2, which I thought would be obsolete by now, but apparently is still in demand, as is the DVX100B, PD170 and some other classics from yesteryear.

Is there a current format that provides:

1 - as close as possible to a 4:4:4 capture capability
2 - full frame picture mode (no GOP)
3 - permanent storage at reasonable cost (mini-dv is relatively cheap and long lived - SxS and P2 create storage issues)
4 - provides a reasonable entry cost - new formats are coming out every week, it seems, and I have little doubt that resale of current camcorders will be challenging a few years out. I am a small fish, doing mostly volunteer work for non-profits. I pay for all my own gear.

Should I just keep the XL2 and XH-A1 until the format wars are over?

Part II - Where can I get better educated? The problem of CMOS rolling shutters versus 3CCD image capture, the problem of vertical bleed with CCD eliminated by CMOS technology. I don't know which is worse, or less intrusive, for the viewer and for correcting in post. AVCHD, long GOP HDV, 25MB, 35MB and 100MB acquisisition. I'm getting lost quickly.

Any help is appreciated.
Len Capristo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion