DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   New FREE teleprompter web-based app (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/146401-new-free-teleprompter-web-based-app.html)

Mike Drob March 23rd, 2009 10:01 AM

New FREE teleprompter web-based app

Ok so a few weeks ago I needed a quick cheap laptop teleprompter solution that I didn't feel like paying for and after browsing for available solutions, I didn't like anything that was out there.. so luckily i happen to also code for a living so figured i'd write my own. also figured i'd write a web-based one.

if you just wanna get to it already - check it out EasyPrompter - the best free online teleprompter.

I'd really love to hear your feedback, everyone. I intend to maintain and improve it, especially if there is interest. I also intend to keep it free. If it gest super-popular or people really want to be able to save scripts, settings, etc - maybe i'll think about sort of a premium account, but the basic prompter will always be free.

I think this is at least competitive to others like it but really want feedback.

Please go and check it out. there are no ads and no accounts to sign up for. just type in your script and hit start.

I didn't know where this should be posted so figured i'd post here. if someone thinks there's a better place for it, do let me know.

tell everyone ;)

Thank you

Mike Drob March 24th, 2009 09:13 AM

not a single piece of feedback? comon people

Alan Emery March 24th, 2009 09:20 AM

Hi Mike,

Very nicely done! This is super easy to use and set up.

Alan

Paul Kellett March 24th, 2009 12:13 PM

That's brilliant, definitely one to save to my favourites.
Is there any chance of you making it into a downloadable program ?
I've been in situations before where i could've used a teleprompter but i didn't have a net connection.
I'd be willing to pay a small fee for a program like that, simple and easy to use, plain black and white.
My paypal is on standby !!

Paul.

Andy Tejral March 24th, 2009 12:50 PM

Without even looking at it, I would agree that downloadable would be much better. No matter how reliable your internet connection is, Murphy says it will pick precisely the worst moment to go down. I wouldn't want to hold up a shoot waiting for someone to figure out what's wrong with the 'net.

Mike Drob March 24th, 2009 08:06 PM

A windows app is being considered. I also had the idea of making the web app downloadable. Meaning the javascript would just be saved and you can run it from your computer without a connection.

Dale Guthormsen March 26th, 2009 05:03 PM

Mike,

Well done! I have had use for a promter a few times and everytime I priced them I cringed and we moved on without one.

I wont have use for one until well into May when we shooting a three to four part series. It will be a first for us and the prompter will be excellent. I look forward to using it.

I actually had thought of setting up a power point to do it.

Now if you could make it stand alone so that you would not need an internet link that would be awesome for those of us who shootl mostly outside!!!!!!

Is there a chance of that?

Sean Walsh March 27th, 2009 06:44 AM

Mike - love it.

It does all it needs to do - I've just tried it out and it worked brilliantly.

I have to agree, a download version would be the icing on the cake.

Looking forward to your next phase of development...

Bill Mecca March 27th, 2009 08:55 AM

Mike, nicely done. a couple items though

1. I didn't see any controls to mirror the text, did I just miss them?
If that isn't a function then in order to shoot thru the glass the user would need to build a periscope type prompter. IMO mirroring text is essential.
2. Can scripts be imported or does one have to manually type the script in order to use it?
3. Downloadable is essential.

Ervin Farkas March 27th, 2009 10:14 AM

I love it

Can't wait for the downloadable version!

Colin McDonald March 27th, 2009 03:31 PM

Well done - thanks for posting that.

Brian Luce March 27th, 2009 05:27 PM

No mirror text? Deal breaker. :(

Mike Drob April 2nd, 2009 10:28 PM

unfortunately, there is no way (currently) to flip text in JavaScript. There are some unicode hacks that'll flip it horizontally but none that will do it vertically. The only way to get this is with a downloadable font that will simulate flipped text. Not the most elegant solution but i may have to implement it.

there is no way to import script aside from copy/paste at this moment. if there is enough interest, I will consider some sort of account-based setup where you'll be allowed to save scripts/settings.

downloadable version is coming soon - keep the comments coming!

Mike Drob April 3rd, 2009 01:02 AM

Ask and you shall receive. Portable stand-alone version is now available. Please let me know how it works for you all.

EasyPrompter - the best free online teleprompter.

Gary Nattrass April 3rd, 2009 02:52 AM

Thanks Mike a really useful thing to have on my macbook pro, it works a treat and is nice and simple for quick teleprompting.

Duncan Craig April 3rd, 2009 03:32 PM

Hey Mike, just wanted to say thank you for your work so far. I haven't used the app yet, but it will be on my MacBook soon.

Oh I should add I'm looking for an upside down font and found this: SunnyNeo - Upside Down Text Generator

It kind of works by flipping the text then pasting it into your app.

Duncan.

Mike Drob April 4th, 2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig (Post 1047589)
Hey Mike, just wanted to say thank you for your work so far. I haven't used the app yet, but it will be on my MacBook soon.

Oh I should add I'm looking for an upside down font and found this: SunnyNeo - Upside Down Text Generator

It kind of works by flipping the text then pasting it into your app.

Duncan.

Yeah this is what I was talking about - it only works somewhat. There are no capital letters. This is a unicode hack and unicode doesn't have upside down caps. Thanks for the research though.

Brian Luce April 4th, 2009 09:30 PM

Thanks Mike! Very useful thing to have.

Lorinda Norton April 5th, 2009 12:30 AM

What a great app to share!

The few times I had to use a teleprompter it was kind of a pain editing text and adjusting the speed. Yours is so easy anyone could figure it out at first glance and operate it sufficiently in no time.

I hope the day comes that you can mirror the text. That would be outstanding.

Very well done! I'm constantly amazed at the talent and generosity of folks on this board. Thank you. :)

Hart Boyd April 5th, 2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Drob (Post 1045103)
Ask and you shall receive. Portable stand-alone version is now available. Please let me know how it works for you all.

EasyPrompter - the best free online teleprompter.

Mike,

I saved the portable version but the icons/pictures are not showing up when I run it either from your site or locally.

Brett Sherman April 5th, 2009 07:55 AM

A couple suggestions:

- Of course mirroring is critical, but you know that already.
- It would be nice if using the left arrow to decrease speed would take it down to "0". Also there isn't enough fine adjustment for speed at the bottom end. The difference between 0-1-2 are too great. Anything above 4 is too fast to be useful for reading.
- Mouse wheel control of speed would be cool if possible

Nice work! Now I just have to figure out how to mount my netbook to the camera. :)

Matt Ratelle April 5th, 2009 02:32 PM

I have to agree with Brett. This program will be great for people doing very short takes, but usually with longer shoots you will need to vary the speed of the read, especially for live shoots. Being able to alter the speed of the scroll on the fly would be a great advancement. It's also fairly easy to create your own font(I know someone who once did one of his one handwriting) so it shouldn't be all that hard to create a reverse font to use with your program, however that would need to be included in your program.

Duncan Craig April 5th, 2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ratelle (Post 1055366)
I have to agree with Brett. This program will be great for people doing very short takes, but usually with longer shoots you will need to vary the speed of the read, especially for live shoots. Being able to alter the speed of the scroll on the fly would be a great advancement. It's also fairly easy to create your own font(I know someone who once did one of his one handwriting) so it shouldn't be all that hard to create a reverse font to use with your program, however that would need to be included in your program.

Speed adjustment on the fly and scrolling up and down is already there. Use the up down left right cursors, you'll see.

Mike Drob April 6th, 2009 09:36 PM

Hart - what browser are you using? have you tried in a different one? the only thing I can think of is that it's set not to download/show images.

Brett - unfortunately, the speed of the scroll depends a bit on the hardware and resolution used. Go up to like a 120pt font on a 1600x1050 screen and run it full screen (F11 in most browsers) and 6 or 7 becomes a decent speed. I will see if I can put more fine-tuning in.

Scroll wheel support coming soon.

Instead of going down to 0 speed, you can instead hit pause (or Space bar on the keyboard)

for those trying to mount it - I found a neat solution. I have a portable music stand (I also play the violin in a rock band - SEVEN WAYS OUT - official space of a nyc-based co-ed rock band - so I happen to have this) - this stand is pretty sturdy with a solid top. It's height adjustable and easily supports a laptop - I set it so the top of the screen is just below the lens.

Here is the result:
YouTube - Chiron Training Center promo video
(announcer comes in at 0:20)

keep the comments coming!

Mike Drob April 7th, 2009 01:17 AM

OK .. I just posted an update. couple things:

1 - the speed adjustment is more precise now - you should get about 3x the resolution in terms of timing.

2 - scroll wheel is now supported to adjust the speed of the prompter in real time

3 - compact version updated with these changes (so you'll have to download it again). Also, added a link to the compact version to "Check for updates." This will make it easier for those of you who are on the compact version to see if something new has been created without scouring the forums.

Note - you may need to refresh your browser cache in order to see some of these changes.

John Peterson April 10th, 2009 05:54 AM

Thank you so much Mike for doing this. My daughter is an actor and she loves it.

John

Mike Drob April 10th, 2009 01:14 PM

That's great news. I would love to hear back from end users. Feedback will make this tool better.

Hanno di Rosa April 10th, 2009 01:20 PM

excellent

very nice idea, well done and so simple and small....all in a browser, thank you!

Paula DiSante April 11th, 2009 09:08 PM

This is great! Thank you!

Mike Drob April 12th, 2009 12:03 AM

EasyPrompter is now on Twitter - follow the news / updates and add suggestions there
Easy Prompter (EasyPrompter) on Twitter
Thanks!

P.S. - I love seeing people from all over the world using this! Let me know if there are issues with other languages or anything.

Mike Drob April 13th, 2009 08:30 AM

Just wanted to update everyone - proper mirrored text is coming shortly. It will require a font download but I am creating my own font that is much more complete and unicode compliant than the Kcab font that's in use on cueprompter. It is based on DejaVu Sans (an open source arial/helvetica - type font). You can look it up online to see what languages/character sets it supports.
I am hoping the international community will help me test out this upcoming release in their language to let me know if there are any problems with non-Latin character sets.

Thanks all. Stay Tuned!

Vito DeFilippo April 13th, 2009 08:39 AM

Mike,

Can I add my thanks to that of others? This is such a great thing that you are doing. Thanks a million!

Ken Campbell April 13th, 2009 12:55 PM

BIG THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried Prompt! today but the 2500 character limit to the free version got me, plus I wanted a larger screen size. Just tried your telepromter and it is perfect!

Keep up the good work!

Mike Drob April 23rd, 2009 12:14 AM

MIRRORED TEXT! MIRRORED TEXT! MIRRORED TEXT! MIRRORED TEXT!

After a few weeks and a few sleepless nights, I finally managed to get mirrored text fully working via a font (which I had to create) download.

Thusfar, it is FAR superior to what you find on cueprompter for a couple reasons:
1 - my font is unicode compliant so many languages and character sets will work out of the box

2 - I implemented some insanely complex (and annoying) code to make sure all the text is wrapped correctly.

There is only 1 caveat currently and that's if you resize the window or change font size during playback, the wrapping will get a little weird. I will fix this shortly.

For the time being, I need help testing this as much as possible - especially in languages other than english! Please let me know how it works for you!

Thank you all for the support!

Battle Vaughan April 23rd, 2009 09:44 AM

Totally wizard, thanks for doing this! / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Oren Arieli April 23rd, 2009 10:23 AM

Mike, you RULE!. Thanks for putting this together and making the suggested changes. Wish I could present you with a medal.

Brian Luce April 23rd, 2009 08:09 PM

I used your software on a shoot. It worked! One thing that would be helpful is the ability to smoothly vary the speed the words scroll by -- the talent would vary her delivery and when the teleprompter operartor slowed down the text jerks a bit. It needs a little more fine pinpoint control in the scrolling function.
Since there was no mirror text, we didn't use the reflector glass and just placed the LCD below the lens. As far as I'm concerned, it looks just like the talent is staring into the lens.

Mike Drob April 24th, 2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1130365)
I used your software on a shoot. It worked! One thing that would be helpful is the ability to smoothly vary the speed the words scroll by -- the talent would vary her delivery and when the teleprompter operartor slowed down the text jerks a bit. It needs a little more fine pinpoint control in the scrolling function.
Since there was no mirror text, we didn't use the reflector glass and just placed the LCD below the lens. As far as I'm concerned, it looks just like the talent is staring into the lens.

Hi Brian! This is really great to hear. Just wanted to tell you that you CAN control the speed during the shoot. By either using the left/right arrow keys or the mouse scroll wheel. The scroll wheel in particular may be really useful since you can have very fine control over it and if you have a wireless mouse, can do it from anywhere.

Ken Campbell April 25th, 2009 12:17 AM

Mike Drob wins the WAY COOL!! award!

Mike Drob April 25th, 2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Campbell (Post 1132978)
Mike Drob wins the WAY COOL!! award!

Thanks.. too bad those don't come with a big check attached ;) j/k