Projector Presentation - Switching Videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Projector Presentation - Switching Videos

The upcoming project I'm in the process of completing will be displayed on a projector and this presents a number of challenges:

1) What format should I deliver in? (disc or electronic file)
2) If an electronic file is used, how do you cleanly switch from one full-screen video to the next? (the projector is mounted to the ceiling)

Here's how the presentation will go. A live speaker will introduce the video. During the time he/she is speaking, video will be looping on the screen in the background. Eventually the speaker will introduce the video and it will seamlessly start.

Normally, when I've seen this done, you see the Windows interface for about 10 seconds while the operator switches from one video to the next within Window's Media Player. Not very professional.

Even if we used a Mac and Quicktime, I don't know how to get around this.

My only solution is to downconvert to a standard def DVD. I could then make a looping menu with a hidden button that would start the video. But because this is going to be projected, I'd rather stay High Def to maintain the quality.

To make matters worse, if I deliver in a high def format (1080 30p / Blu-Ray) most projectors won't handle it as the resolution is too high. At least that's what the AV guy is telling me.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I have no idea why this was posted to XDCAM EX; the topic has nothing to do with those cameras. Most of today's better projectors are indeed HD ready however.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What is your playback program?

I jsut tried in windows media player 11 and it allowed me to add the same video more than once to the playlist.

I would do it like this:

Use a computer for playback, and that computer is capable of dual monitors.

Most video cards have what is called "Theater mode" with ATI cards. I know Nvidia has a similar function, but dont remember the name. What this does is make video play full screen on a second monitor, but you still have access to all controls without anyone else seeing on the primary monitor. Some software allows you to do this as well. I believe media player classic is one of them.

Have your first monitor in front of you. The projector is the second monitor. Put the looping video in a couple times on the playlist, and when it's time, just click the video you want to jump into, and it will pop up and play right away.

If the presenters introduction is something specifically timed, then you can loop your video a certain number of times, and just try to make sure the presenter ends when your primary video begins.

--Andy P
Andy Pronobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Major Player

You could run it from VLC. It allows you to create playlists, and allows looping of one video only. Just make a playlist with your two videos, and click the looping button at the bottom of the playlist window. Then when he wants the next video, just push Command Right Arrow to advance the playlist.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You could burn a HD DVD and then either rent or borrow a HD DVD player. I did that for a presentation in December and it looked great projected really large. Using Final Cut Studio 2 let me burn the HD DVD at 25 megabits per second using H.264, so the picture was flawless. Also using DVD Studio Pro you could burn the DVD with the same menu as you would a regular DVD.
Patrick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Trustee

Chris: Sorry....I didn't know where to post my question. My bad....

Edward/Andy: This is great news! I didn't know you could make playlists in VLC or Windows Media Player 11. I'm going to do some testing using one of this programs today and see how it goes. (I'm guessing I'm going to be the one running the laptop connected to the projector....we'll see)

Patrick: Using DVD Studio Pro to burn a HD DVD is a very attractive idea. I have a HD DVD player and I think our LG Blu-Ray burner will also burn HD DVD's. But what media do I use to burn with? It might be hard to find HD DVD media anymore. I'm hoping you're going to tell me that I can use standard DVD's or even DL-DVD's.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

If the presentation is short enough, you can indeed burn Blu-Ray to a standard DVD disc:

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/blu-ray-a...oast-10-a.html

Not sure about HD DVD though.

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi there,

If you need to seamlessly switch from live to video/ pc you would need a seamless switcher like an extron 408, this is quite expensive to rent, a cheaper alternative would be the sony 1024 switcher but it would not switch seamlessly ( 2 sec freeze before it switches to the next format). There's an equipment available at your local AV company that stores files for easy playback, I really forgot what it is but is the video version of the instant replay (audio-fun fare music).

Having said that have you doubled check the screen being used at the venue? I know projector is HD but screen should be 16:9 format as well.

my 2 cents
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
If the presentation is short enough, you can indeed burn Blu-Ray to a standard DVD disc:

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/blu-ray-a...oast-10-a.html

Not sure about HD DVD though.
Chris, you can burn HD-DVD content to DVD using DVDSP. I've done it. FYI.
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Good to know -- thanks Shaun. These options should make this project more viable for Mitchell.

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) has a feature called Spaces which basically gives you 4 or more screens on which you can have different windows. I would stay electronic and move the Loop and the Feature videos to the projection Mac. In one space I would use the QuickTime player in Full Screen mode to play the loop. In the next Space, I'd run the QT player in full screen with the feature video. At the time you want to change videos, you can use a keystroke to switch spaces. Press the space bar to start/stop the playback of the feature video. At the end you could switch back to the loop which will still be running if you left it running. If your system lacks the horsepower to play all that HD simultaneously, then hit space to stop the Loop before you toggle the Space.

It goes without saying that all this should be rehearsed with the actual Mac you will use and if at all possible, do it connected to the/a projection system. Connected monitors can affect video playback performance. I would bring a good ole fashioned "I know this works" SD DVD for backup.

I assume the A/V guy has a computer audio connection.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I assume the A/V guy has a computer audio connection.
From experience, communicate that this is required. I don't know how many conventions I've live switched, having spec'd an audio feed from a laptop, only to have the AV guy scrambling 10 minutes before we needed it.

PS. Good catch, Les.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Chris: Sorry....I didn't know where to post my question. My bad....

Edward/Andy: This is great news! I didn't know you could make playlists in VLC or Windows Media Player 11. I'm going to do some testing using one of this programs today and see how it goes. (I'm guessing I'm going to be the one running the laptop connected to the projector....we'll see)

Patrick: Using DVD Studio Pro to burn a HD DVD is a very attractive idea. I have a HD DVD player and I think our LG Blu-Ray burner will also burn HD DVD's. But what media do I use to burn with? It might be hard to find HD DVD media anymore. I'm hoping you're going to tell me that I can use standard DVD's or even DL-DVD's.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
You can use regular DVDs and get up to half an hour on the disk. My HD DVD player plays them back flawlessly.
Patrick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Trustee

Patrick: But what if I need more than a half hour? DL-DVD work?
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #15
Major Player

There seem to be many positive reviews of the reasonably priced WD TV HD Media Player. That may very well suit your needs.

Newegg.com - WD TV HD Media Player - External Hard Drives

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion