Request info on Initial Purchase at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 12th, 2001, 11:42 AM   #1
Ed Zajac

Request info on Initial Purchase

Hi Group
I am in the processing of evaluating what items to purchase to create a XL1s package. I do inhouse corporate training programs and still in the process of putting togeter a camera outfit, lighting gear, tripod and any accessories that are important for the XL1S. I would appreciate any input and suggestions that any of you have. Take Care and Thanks beforehand for your help.

Ed Zajac
Old October 30th, 2001, 10:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Suggestions

Canon XL-1S with Manual Lens
MA-200 adapter
Canon Wide Angle lens
LCD monitor.

at least 2 spare BP-930 or higher capacity batteries.

You'll need a UV filter, and circular polarizer. I like to have a couple of warming filters a diffusion filter and a ND filter or two. If you get the manual lens the extra ND filter may be unneeded since the lens has 2 ND's built in. I' don't know if you can use both at once.

A spare battery charger/power inverter.

I use a Bogen 3046 Tripod, with a 3066 head. If buying again I'd consider a Tripod with the ability to go lower. The head often seems overbought, but really it is a good choice, especially after you hang all that crap off of it.
Old November 5th, 2001, 06:19 PM   #3
Machinist Mate

Don't forget the audio! It is incredible what a difference it makes to have properly miked up sound, and viewers will more likely forgive shot mistakes, lighting issues, etc. if the soundtrack is crystal clear. I use a combination of wireless and wired mics depending on the situation, and am always on the lookout for more/newer/better. The mic adapter mentioned by Aibraham will allow you to plug in a variety of wired mics plus field mixer if desired. Consider pulling off the stock on-camera mic and mounting a shotgun for those occasions when you must use on-camera sound (we like to be ready to shoot at all times).

My Bogen has been a good tripod to me, I like to use it on a dolly...you never know when you may want to move the camera, and nothing is more awkward (and clumsy/unfprofessional looking to your corporate clients) than dragging an unwheeled tripod around.

Then there's lighting...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion