JVC Streamcorder Questions: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 15th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #1
Trustee

JVC Streamcorder Questions:

Hello guys.

I've noticed the newer ads showing the JVC Streamcorder as having a different looking front- the lens shade looks a little different and the inner plain circle lens seems to be a little different as well- has JVC changed the Streamcorder?

I recall a post somewhere stating an accessory lens tore off the front 52mm threaded lens part and that it wasn't an actual piece of the front lens but some sort of add-on JVC added so that end users could fit accessory tele lens and WA lenses as well as filters- can anyone comment on the 52mm threaded lens or lack thereof on the Streamcorder? I'd like to attach a 2X or 3X tele lens and am wondering about the dangers of doing so or the harm i may do to the camera.

Also, what is the limit of horizontal capture in the miniDV format? The JVC is touted as having over 700 lines of vertical resolution- but how many of these lines can be captured in the miniDV recording format. What is the standard setup for DV 7.5 IRE or zero- the JVC is adjustable and I was wondering what I could set this up with in FCP.

Are there any owner/users of the Streamcorder on these boards? I constantly read about how incredible the video quality is on the Streamcorder and how it beats out the PD150 in low light shooting and is unsurpassed in dark/light area detailing (no propensity to blow out highlights)......anyone have any comments on their DV300U's and it's probably use as a nature documentary camera?

The DVC80 is my other choice but seems very wide angle for tele shooting- is the Streamcorder as wide an angle shooter?

Thanks guys- I know it's allot of questions- but info on this camera is scarce online- I wish Chris would dedicate a forum or subsection to the Streamcorder.

<< Hey Chris- you have all the 3CCD players represented here on these forums yet no dedicated forum for the Streamcorder- is it that unpopular?? With it's $2400 price tag now inline with other 3CCD cams, I would imagine many (including myself) are now considering this camera and would like a place to post Q&A's on >>
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #2
Trustee

I myself have always been somewhat confussed on how/why some DV cams spec at 700 or 800 lines. How does this work/help when the format is set at DV resolution?
Ken
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Quote:
Also, what is the limit of horizontal capture in the miniDV format?
Don't know. This would depend on the CCDs and the lens, I would think, plus a little magic from the electronic guts. Olny 700 lines? Heck, my MX300 captures over 1500 lines, or so Pana claims. But then playback is another story. That limit would be 540 lines; the MX300 only plays back 500 lines.
Quote:
Streamcorder- is it that unpopular?
Yes. it only got a rating of 3.5 out of 5 from DV Magazine, whereas the PDX10 got a 4, and the DVX100 got a 4.5.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #4
Trustee

1500 lines? The highest I have ever read is 800 lines on some of the 2/3" ccd pro cams.
"Yes. it only got a rating of 3.5 out of 5 from DV Magazine, whereas the PDX10 got a 4, and the DVX100 got a 4.5"
I have seen other reviews where is has recieved best of class. I is generally agreed that JVC screwed up the marketing on this camera, pushing its "streamcorder" aspect to much, and not promoting its highly competitive image. Few people even know of this camera.
Ken
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi all,

700 lines of resolution I think is basically during CCD/lens pickup.
When the lens+CCD can "see" more clearly, they can down scale better to a lower resolution for saving because it helps to resolve the image better.

I used this camcorder for wedding and MTVs and I think it's great. Even my client can distinguish the quality that is somehow different from what other vendors usually deliver.

It's not as fragile though. I usually attach my heavy Canon WD-58 wide angle adapter (with 52->58mm ring of course) with an additional hood. It looks and performs great.

May be I can post a screen shot of the setup tomorrow.

Like the DVX100, this cam does offer Cine gamma eventhough it can't capture progressively.

By tweaking its Black Level and Black Stretch/Compress, I can get pretty good shadow details in a variety of environments.

It can handle smear very well. I like this!
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:59 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Ken, yes. On the 2 page NV-MX300A "consumer" spec sheet, it says just over 1500 lines. Wild, huh?
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #7
Trustee

I pulled this of the Pana site:
"The result is absolutely superb picture performance. The MX300A delivers a wide dynamic range, brilliant colour reproduction, high S/N ratio, and 520 lines of horizontal resolution. And it adds a host of manual functions for extra video-shooting creativity, plus full compatibility with the next-generation SD Memory Card for greater expandability. If you're serious about video quality, you'll want to share in the excitement of this new legend in the making. "

Maybe they added up all 3 ccd's, although that would be wrong to do so.
Ken
Old October 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #8
Outer Circle

520 lines? Strange. Pana tested the playback as being 500 horizontal lines. Same goes for the MX350.
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #9
Trustee

So why did you think it was 1500?
Ken
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Has the Streamcorder changed??

Anyone else notice the different front look?

- the newer ads shows the JVC Streamcorder as having a different looking front- the lens shade looks a little different and the inner plain circle lens seems to be a little different as well- has JVC changed the Streamcorder?

Anyone -any comments?

Here's some photos showing what I mean...

Old look-------> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=ProductDetail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=246041

New look-------> http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/pics.jsp?tree=&model_id=MDL101332&itempath=&feature_id=04

The front is definitely different????????
Old October 16th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,

Mine comes with a round inner circle and this piece of plastic can be removed by removing 4 screws.
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #12
Trustee

Yik,

here is a pic of the new look I am referring to ( http://internetvideomag.com/images/products2002/gydv300.gif )

Is it possible this newer version is only available with the optional "stream" unit? And is this possibly just a redone lens shade?

I'm very curious about this as i am returning my PDX10 and am thinking about either this camera or the DVC80....so I'm looking for the most recent info possible.
Old October 17th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,

I'm not very sure about this but if I'm not wrong, the 'squarish' lens shade comes with the very first batch of streamcorder. Later on, all the brochure show the circle type. Or may be they use different lens shade for the 2 different models : NTSC (DV300U) and PAL (DV300E/DV301E) ?

I heard that all new stock now comes without the streaming adapter. Only the very early batch, JVC bundled it together at a very special low price. If you are lucky, you may still find some shops selling this package.

If you are interested, you may want to take a look at my cam with the Canon WD-58H attached :

http://www.hourglass-production.com/gallery/samples/camtest/dv301e_wd58h/dv301_wd58h.htm
Old October 17th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Quote:
So why did you think it was 1500?Ken
That's what Pana claims the MX300 captures, just over 1500 horizontal lines (This is in Pana print, and not what I think). Playback is 500 lines (also in Pana print).

Note: what a cam captures and what a cam can play back, are 2 different things.

http://www.dvfreak.com/res.htm
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #15
Regular Crew

fyi, steve,

In addition to the '700 lines' of horizontal resolution, the cam provides an option in the menu to increase its vertical resolution as well - 450 (Normal) and 540 (V Max).

Please try this cam before making any decision. The quality is simply amazing.
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion