Camcorder leash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:28 AM   #1
Wrangler

Camcorder leash?

Does anyone make a camcorder leash similar to the ones for boogie or surfboards? One you could velcro to your wrist?
Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:49 AM   #2
Outer Circle

No, I haven't seen these, but it shouldn't be difficult to make one.

For surfboarding? I suggest an all-weather-housing case more than a velcro strap.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 02:54 PM   #3
Wrangler

:-) Not much surf out here on the island of Manhattan, but I do want to replace the neck straps on my camcorders/cameras, I only end up wrapping them around my wrist anyway.

Mainly the leash would act
1. as a bungie cord in case I accidentally drop a camcorder
2. as an anti-theft device so that I can put the camcorder down for a second without worrying about getting it swiped.

i sometimes have to sitdown to make script changes or figure out different problems, and it's annoying to have to constantly keep one eye/hand on a camcorder when it's unleashed
Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Try a pet supply store. Really, they have ALL kinds of leashes and straps. You might find one that works for you.
Plus you can get a nice collar for your camera at the same time.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OR why not just get a shoulder strap from a camera store, you can put it across your body when you need to.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:23 PM   #5
Wrangler

Sure, sure, and while I'm at it, I can pick up some healthy camcorder food so my camcorder gets that high pro glow.

Actually I sometimes use the neck strap as a shoulder strap, but it's a hassle when you're in the "moment" to have to continually put it on and take it off. I'm working with a group of actors so we're constantly making small adjustments and stopping to discuss creative ideas every few minutes, that's why the leash for shooting in public spaces.

Basically, I need to put the camera down several times during a shoot so that I can use both my hands but I need to pick the camera right up again.

Well if no one makes it, maybe I'll start selling them myself :-) ... along with the tags, collars, and food.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There you go. Lemonade out of ....what am I talking about!?!?!?!

Seriously though, I was just at a pet supply place to get a new leash for my dog and the array of straps and so forth is amazing, you might really be able to find something OR a place I like to go shopping is the local home improvement store usually in the tool section, the tool belts and things like that - you might find something there.
Good luck
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:56 AM   #7
Wrangler

Micheal, send me an email, I might be able to help.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:56 PM   #8
Major Player

i think you could fashion something out of shock cord, it looks a lot like bungee but much smaller.

it comes in various sizes, there is stuff as small as 1/8th inch and it is fairly strong.

find it anywhere they sell real camping stuff. usually available by the foot.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion