Which Hobby is More Expensive, Videography or Photography? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 30th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #16
Wrangler

I like my old RB-67 unless I can get by with 35mm.
Old October 30th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I had an RB67 when it 1st came out. I had the stock 80 and a 150mm, I had 4 220 film backs and an eye level VF. I was an awesome camera especially after using a Graflex XL (also 6X7 format-but a rangefinder). I had the camera on fashion and modeling composite work but for weddings I only used it for the formals before and after the ceremony, NEVER during the ceremony. Why you ask!?!?!?

It sounded like a small cannon going off. When the mirror and shutter (focal plane) opened after pressing the button the noise was like, BAM BAM!!!! (but 10 times louder)

The image was great even better than my Graflex BUT the noise could easily get you tossed from a wedding ceremony.

Today when I see someone with a medium format I ask nicely if we could keep a bit of distance between us as the shutter noise will end up on my audio track. It's not as loud as when I used one but it's still loud but its still a great image.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:38 AM   #18

if you think these hobbies are expensive, buy an airplane and learn to fly.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:43 PM   #19
Wrangler

Did that but could not convince myself that buying an airplane was any better than buying a boat or an RV. In all cases, they tend to be expensive holes in the elements in which one pours a lot of money.

So I rent.

Getting the ratings was lots cheaper than running a videography business. Course I learned to fly about 30 years ago.
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:03 PM   #20
Tourist

Since I am just beginning the financial foray into video, I guess I will have to wait a bit before I could really compare my costs. But I will say this - the investment I have in still photography is substantial! Nikon F4's, Mamiya RB67 (still my favorite peice of equipment of all time), lenses, filters, tripods, bags, film backs, flashes, etc. Jeez, it is starting to scare me when I think of all that money - lol!

The good thing is that at least some of that equipment comes in handy now as I start to do video. I currently have a Sony TRV-320 that fits quite nicely on my Bogen 3047 head tripod. And it fits real well into my Tamarac bag :) So, at least for the time being I am keeping my costs low. But I have a feeling all that will change when I purchase an XL1S in the next month or two.

BTW - to Don Bloom. Reading your account of wedding photogs and RB's had me rolling. Can't tell you how many times I just wanted to duck out of the church after snapping a shot and watching the Priest and guests craning their necks around to glare at me. LOL! However, the bride and groom sure appreciated it when they were picking out their 16 X 20 print :)
Chris McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:26 PM   #21
Wrangler

ONe could always keep the mirror locked up and use the sports finder. :-)))
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:57 PM   #22
Warden

Can't you pre-release the back and use a leaf shutter lens (like Hasselblad)?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:27 PM   #23
Wrangler

Yes. I just cannot remember if one can keep the mirror locked up.

It is a leaf shutter system.
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:47 PM   #24
Warden

If memory serves me, the early RB's didn't have mirror lockup, but the later (Pro S) did have mirror lock up.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:36 PM   #25
Wrangler

I have the earliest RB-67 I know. The first one sold in Northern California. It has mirror lockup.

Shoot. Now I'll have to go get it out and make sure I'm correct. But I do remember shooting with the mirror up before.
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:30 PM   #26
Inner Circle

IIRC I bought my RB in 1975 (maybe 76) and I don't remember it having a mirror lockup, and yes it was a leaf shutter,sorry, I havdn't used the RB since 1979 or 80 so my memory is a little rusty.
I did like it almost as much as I loved my Nikon F's and my Leica Mll but my all time favorite was my Graflex XL. Couldn't beat it for weddings fashion and portraits. Nikons for news and sports, Leica for going to the street and pretending to be Alfred Eisenstadt.
Really the only one I wish I still had was the Leica.

The only camera I ever used that gave a better 8X10 than a good 6X7 was and 8X10 Dierdorff with a Zeiss lens. Didn't own one but got to use one for 2 years at a place I contracted too doing catalogue work. I even used an 11X14, what a monster.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 11:15 PM   #27
Wrangler

Yea.

I keep thinking I should sell my darkroom equipment, the RB and just keep the F3.
Old November 1st, 2003, 11:56 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Wow, quite a question to ask. I mean, any die hard fan will say that their equipment is more expansive than someone elses, or better, and so forth.

I know from all of the equipment that I've bought, and equipment looking to get in the next few months, I've probably spent up to $15,000 I never thought in my life I'd be spending so much money on something, but I did.

Now, that money was for my camera, an xl1s, batteries, light, wide angle lens, good filters, dv tapes, tripod, LCD display, bags, hard cases, the MA-200, good mics, and so forth. Plus my deck. Then, going on to revamping my editing system, which will be another $3500. Plus, all of the audio equipment I've bought, too.

Mean while, my photographer has so many different cameras, lenses, dark room, this, that. All of her equipment probably cost close to my stuff.

I think in the long run, videograpgy will be more expensive. I think just the editing system will be more expensive. Either ways, it's never ending. I know that I'm always looking for another lens.

Heh...anyways...I guess after all of that, videopgrahy is more expansive than photography!!!!
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #29
Major Player

I used to think my car club friends spent the most money on a hobby. In comparrison, I was wrong. :)
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #30
Wrangler

I blew by my car restoration project with the DSR-300, lens, batteries, charger, and tripod.

Wish I had time to finish the car.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion