Question regarding the Canon ZR70 MC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Question regarding the Canon ZR70 MC

Recently my brother in law purchased a Canon ZR70 MC and I have been messing around with it and I've noticed that the image is rather grainy. I've tried messing with the camcorders settings endlessly, but I can't seem to get rid of the grain. Does anyone have any experience with this camera and can offer me some help?

Also, I didn't want to post this in the XL1s forums, so I just posted it here. My apologies if it is in the wrong forum.

One last question, would a skycrane and any other support for camera's fit my ZR70 MC? I know it'll look a little funny with a small cam, but hey! It's all I have right now.

Thanks in advance!
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Roger,
I am not specifically familiar with the 70 but I have a 40 and suspect that its imaging system is probably identical to that of the 70 (except in the minds of the Canon marketing department).

I suspect that the "grain" you see is the result of shooting in low-light. Video cameras left to their own defaults will attempt to deliver a better exposure by turning-up their gain when faced with a dark image. This results in a grainy image. With a single imaging chip (CCD) of ony 1/6" the ZR's generally have to crank gain even in moderate light.

Poke around to see if you can find a way to (a) defeat the auto-gain setting and/or (b) manually adjust your shutter speed to indirectly control the camera's gain.

Failing that, turn a light on.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Funny how you mention low light as a problem because whenI switchon the cam's low light setting it's choppy and grainy as hell.
I did notice that the grain will kinda disapear under extreme light, b ut what about those nice shots with low light and not too much exposure?

I know I can't defeat the auto-gain setting, so my only choice is adjusting the shutter speed manually.

Thanks for the help!
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion