My camera is failing.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 21st, 2003, 11:17 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Probably the most common way fraud artists get eBay accounts is by tricking people into giving them their account information. They send official-looking emails directing unsuspecting ebayers to an official-looking site where they are tricked into giving away sensitive information.

Another scams involve the scam artists selling stuff to themselves to build up rating. You can sometimes spot these since they sell the same item to themself over and over and suddenly start selling expensive items (Sony laptops, 3CCD cameras, etc.).

Of course there are many many legitimate sellers on Ebay. It might just be that cases fraud are overexaggerated and highly unlikely to happen. And it could be the other way around. Without good evidence it's mostly speculation how "unsafe" eBay is. But you can definitely make eBay safer by looking out for certain things (do research on the seller, ask the seller questions, look at the description to see if the seller knows what they're talking about, check the shipping weight of the item, etc.). Stores selling online could be a lot better than individuals selling online. I haven't heard of anyone getting scammed from a store selling online.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 12:31 AM   #17
Trustee

Glenn
You're not looking hard enough. Did you ever see the adds for the Tape Guys? That company is owned by Premier Magnetics out of Brampton. I buy my dv tape, my VHS cassettes and sleeves and my DVD's there. They ship UPS ground or Canada Post . Normally Canada Post bites but from Brampton to TO isn't bad.

So far as shipping from the US, any supplier i've talked to will. I deal with the US on a daily basis through my work and have been for the past 30 years (I'm older than dirt) I only deal with the well established companies like Markertek, B&H or Filter Connection. Last time I bought some filters it cost me a whole $5.

If you get the stuff shipped 2nd day or express (3 or 4 days) the brokerage is covered . United States Postal Service is cheap and Canada Post tacks on $5 for brokerage.

Not everything is cheaper in the US. Manfrotto (Bogen), Avenger, Arri, Chrosziel, Formatt Filters, Lee Filters, Strand, Ianiro , Optex and Rode to name a few manufacturers are not from the US and ship directly to Canada. Beachtek and Cavision are Canadian companies as well.

Somethings we do pay more for but we get 1 year labor warranty as compared to the US 90 day. If you buy some stuff from the US it has to go back for warranty. Search for a good supplier, the prices are usually the same and sometimes better.

The DVshop, AVR Communications Kingsway Motion Picture and G&G electronics are a few examples.

Glenn it doesn't matter where you buy from, you have to be carefull. Going cross border you have to be really carefull.

So life in Canada sucks does it? I live 60 miles up the highway from you and think this is a great place to live. I can be at the beach in minutes or the city center in an hour. You want a bad place to live then try the Peg in the middle of winter.

You want me to give you some names and numbers then email me.

Agus
Sorry to hijack your thread. I wish you luck getting your problem sorted out.

Beas
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 02:54 AM   #18
Major Player

no problemo dude, seens like my cam will be in the repair shop next week.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 03:37 AM   #19
Outer Circle

Quote:
Of course there are many many legitimate sellers on Ebay. It might just be that cases fraud are overexaggerated and highly unlikely to happen. And it could be the other way around....
Well, that isn't quite the point I am trying to make, which is, a seller may send the item described as new, new-like, or in excellent condition, however, upon recieving the item the buyer discovers it is not new, new-like or in excellent condition. Thus the seller lied. Even with a refund, the victum is still out shipping charges both ways.
Quote:
fraud are overexaggerated and highly unlikely to happen
Well, I've been hanging around DV.com's camera forum for a long time, and I've read numerous stories that'll bring a tear to one's eye. ;-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion