Music Video... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Music Video...

I am contemplating shooting a music video (my first) of a friend's percusion
band.
I have a PD150. I have an idea for it but have yet to approach and pitch it to
them.
Before i go ahead, it'd be great if others who have experience in
producing/shooting
music videos share some advice/info.... shooting techniques, 2 cam or 1 cam and
capturing the best audio on the most miserly of budgets (currently, i just have
the
pd150 mic and a audiotechnica lav mic).

Thanks...
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Generally shooting a music video isnt a real problem with sound. Most major video shoots add the audio track afterwards, unless your doing a live version or similar.

I have had friends involved in past music videos and it seems that the track is normally played outloud for the group 'to sing along to' or 'play along to'. Audio isn't recorded, it is simply added after the shoot.

Correct me if im wrong, but its how I have always seen it done.

In the matter of shooting with 1 cam or 2, I would have to say it depends on many factors, your budget, crew avaliablily, format etc. If you are shooting with plenty of time record a certain angle then have them rerun to film other angles.

Matthew Laskey
Matthew Laskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Contributor

What Matthew said about sound is correct. The band plays for real, but they're playing along with their CD. Then after the shoot you load the sound from the CD and edit to that. Just record reference audio with your camera.
Depending on the style of the video, what I usually do is have them run through the song one time while I do a lot of different moving long shots...play it again and I do shots of the singer, then play it again and get the lead guitar, play it again...etc. So if there are 5 band members, you might want them to run through it 10 times or so. Sounds difficult, but the song won't be much over 2 minutes, probably, so it's easy. I also like to use a tungsten preset and let the colored lights do whatever they do. If I'm using a camera that has slow shutter speeds, as the 150 does, I'll do a few additional takes at a 1/4 and 1/8 shutter speed, making for nice blur effects. You can also walk in and out or zoom in and out for some cool effects using the slow shutter.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 11:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You do want to capture sound while shooting, but on camera mic is fine. If you don't have any sound, it is harder to sync up the video to the master audio when you start lining up takes.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Doing percussion on a music video has always proven hard for me to synchronise. Even though the beat is regular, they throw in riffs (or what do you call those in percussion) at unexpected moments, which is difficult for the artists to remember exactly when they occur, I would identify those "riffs" and do close ups of them to be inserted later at the right spot. Since your band is a percussion band, you have your work cut out. Please let us know what happened! Good luck.
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.

It's a coincidence Dan you mention. I just spoke with the lead and he mentioned it would be best to record it live. There is a lot of improvisation with percussion so each take can be quite different.

I'm on a "no-budget" shoot for this... what will be the most economical sound equipment solution for a live 12 man percussion shoot? 12 wireless lav, mixer? 2 shotgun boom mics? (my sound equipment experience is limited)

And... if i go for a night/exterior location shoot... whats the most economical lighting package? battery/generator? (my lighting equipment experience is limited too)

We'll try and get some sort of sponsorship from rental houses... scheduled to shoot in january... after choreographying a set piece.

Cheers.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

It is going to be hard to record it live without a couple of cameras. I did about 35 runs through the song with two cameras to get all the angles I wanted for one of my videos.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Shoot with at least two camera's, do at least three or four passes of the music. Make sure each pass is as close as possible to the others, especially in tempo.
Sound recording: just a suggestion, but I would try somehow hanging two omni directional microphones above the band. This is assuming there is not a lot of ambient noise there and not too much wind.
Light for night shooting: hard to light a 12-man band with a few lights. Ideally you would want one or two of these white balloons that float above the set and have strong lights in them, or some other way to smooth the light (reduce the glaring contrast that normal lights will give you at night outside and the difference in lighting between subjects close to the lights and subjects farther away). But all these tricks are expensive and require professional electricians. I would use free light (daylight).
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Joe Sacher - >> 35 runs? whoops, that must have been exhausting. I'm hoping that a little storyboarding on my end might help. I aim to get at least 2 cams for tights and wides. I have a pd150 and there might be an xl1 available. I assume matching footages from the two will not be too much of a hassle??

Dan Uneken -->> Yes, it seems daylight is most likely the way to go. Beggars can't be choosers. Your 2 omni directional mic setup sounds good. But since i'm most likely shooting outdoors these would have to be on stands.... or would 4 fed into a mixer be the way to go? I'll "try" hook-up a sound dude but any advance advice will be most helpful.

Cheers.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion