Need help- is this audio drop-out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 4th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #1
Wrangler

Need help- is this audio drop-out?

I started a thread originally on the DVX forum regarding a static noise I was exhibiting while adjusting audio levels. I figured a general Open DV forum would draw possible answers from a larger crowd. After I went back and checked the footage from the day I heard that noise I noticed audio anormalities. Every so often I hear what best can be described as digital bleeping noises comming from one or both of the channels. They are feint and only about a millisecond long in duration. It almost sounds like digital distortion but more swift like a quick bleep noise under the audio. It's not very loud, in other words not enough to show up distinctly on the waveform but it's there non the less. Granted this may sound a bit bizzare but I'm describing what I'm hearing to the best of my ability.
In addition to the audio anormalities including one really sloppy 2 second silence (definitly catagorized as a drop-out) I noticed visual artifacting on one of the audio bleeps.

Now this footage was shot as a commercial at a Jewelers. Plus I used the external powercord while recording no battery. I'm just taking shots in the dark but would the security system in the Jewelers affect my camera? How about using the external powercord...would that be the cause of any problems especially beings I'm using an external Senheisser ME66 with phantom power from the cam. I doubt it but figured I'd mention it anyway.

Any and all help will greatly be appreciated!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Audio dropout shouldn't cause noise. Just the opposite.

I'd guess an external RFI problem. Could be someone's phone, radio transmitter, security system, radar, distance measuring system or anything else including electrical shorts.

Are you hearing the sound when you play the tape in the camera, during transfer to the editing system, or when the footage is playing in the editing system? Have you looked at the audio waveform in a sound editor that will allow a detailed examination?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion