Benefit to going component out? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 10th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Chroma Upsamplers/Smoothers do wonders for keying 4:1:1 footage. But does that really compare with trying to pull a key from footage that was originally captured direct to disk via component outputs? Upsampling can't replace all the color information lost from DV compression nor the resolution if the camera front end has better specs than DV tape.

Assuming the Chromakey shoot is in studio, hooking directly from a camera to an Uncompressed NLE doesn't seem like that much trouble. And it would be much more affordable than shooting on Digibeta.

I don't believe the DV5000U supports component out. I know the sonys (dsr300/500) do. The JVC does support Y/C out though.

If you already have access to the chromakey, you may want to run some tests and see if you can get the quality of keys you need from an upsampler, before investing in an uncompressed capture system.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #17
Trustee

I never asked for practicle. I simply wan't the best image possible.
The JVC has composite BNC out and Y/c. No component out. I have asked the technical differences or limitation between the two on a different post.

Martin-"Chroma Upsamplers/Smoothers do wonders for keying 4:1:1 footage. But does that really compare with trying to pull a key from footage that was originally captured direct to disk via component outputs? Upsampling can't replace all the color information lost from DV compression nor the resolution if the camera front end has better specs than DV tape."

Precisely what I have been asking. And is really all I want to know.
Ken
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #18
RED Problem Solver

The camera front end nearly always has better specs than the tape. If you want the best keying quality do it live via hardware and record the result. Next best is record it live uncompressed to disk. After than use the chroma-upsampler. As for the percentage difference in quality between these - it's hard to tell. I'd reckon that the biggest drop would be the totally live hardware solution to any of the computer based solutions.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #19
Trustee

"If you want the best keying quality do it live via hardware and record the result. Next best is record it live uncompressed to disk. After than use the chroma-upsampler"

I don't really get what you saying here? By live via hardware do you mean onto the cams tape?
Why would I need to chroma-upsample my uncompressed footage?
Ken
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #20
RED Problem Solver

When I say "live via hardware" I mean take the component output from the camera into an Ultimatte box and do your keying live. Record the result back out to tape or live to you computer. That's going to give you best quality.

The next best solution is the record the camera component output uncompressed to your computer. At that point you can use a software chroma-key and tweak the results.

The next best solution after that is capture via DV and use a chroma-upsampler.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:17 AM   #21
Trustee

What are some of the best chroma upsamplers? I am a PC guy but would like to here of mac products as well.

Ken

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion