Available format film clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 20th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Tourist

Available format film clips

Please, why are you all exporting to .mov files ?
First of all, the wmv export lets you pack more content into smaller files, also the mov file is not available for most windows users. Please keep in mind that only 5 % of the browsing visitors are using macintosh. So export to wma,wmv or similar. Thank you for your time
Tommy
Tommy Gjerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #2
Warden

A very high percentage of media types (animators, photographers, NLE users, designers etc.) are Mac users. Two of the three Forum Administrators uses Macs and near a third of the moderators use Macs. Judging from the participation levels in our NLE forums, over 40% of the members use Macs.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #3
Posting disabled - Contact Admin.

i beg to differ

quicktime (mov) is not a mac only format. quicktime player and quicktime player pro is available for the pc market. i speak for myself when i say that i have an aversion for all things microsoft (for reasons that would be off topic here), but i won't be surprised if i'm the only one.

additionally, while maybe only 5% of computer users are mac users, it's closer to 40-50% in the design field.
AJ Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #4
Major Player

I was just at a mac site, and the mac to pc use was something like 3% mac to 97% pc my local public access tv station just went all mac training there were three people that took the course in a city of 100,000 they found out what 3% user base means.
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Please, why are you all exporting to .mov files ?

Well, how about for starters that a solidly encoded progressive download mov file gives you the most solid, reliable experience for the widest possible range of computers/operating systems/bandwidth, etc?

the mov file is not available for most windows users

Have you been living under a rock for the past 10 years? The player's FREE. In fact, almost every major player is free. Here, dowload them all:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...a/players.aspx
www.real.com/
www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

and, just for fun:

www.divx.com/
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 06:58 PM   #6
Major Player

I just went to real player for the free player. they want my credit card number and it would cost 9.95 a month
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 07:18 PM   #7
Major Player

No, no, no.

Look around the site and you'll find the FREE version. That's just their clever way of trying to screw you.

http://www.real.com/realoneplayer.html?pp=choice&src=realplayer,120303r1choice_c1_3_2_1_1

Look on the bottom right.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 07:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Try Real Alternative instead. It won't try to burrow itself into your system like the RealOne Player does. http://www.ntcompatible.com/story23517.html

There's also QuickTime Alternative.

And there's also Windows Media Player "Alternative". It doesn't have the bloated interface and it's already on your system! :) You can go into Explorer and change the file associations so that all Windows Media Player related files are opened with "mplayer2.exe" (you might need to find that first).

2- Windows Media Player 8 and 9 can give better compression than Quicktime. However, Quicktime can be more compatible than Windows Media Player (oh the irony). With Quicktime, every single PC I've run into will play back any Quicktime movie with the latest Quicktime Player. Windows Media Player doesn't do that (win98 users can't easily play back the latest codecs). With Quicktime however playback may be choppy if the computer can't handle decompressing the codec used.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:24 PM   #9
Posting disabled - Contact Admin.

another alternative

try videolan's vlc player. it works for windows, mac os x, beos, unix, linux, yopy and zaurus.

runs wmv files, avi files, mov files, mpeg files, divx files. the only thing it doesn't yet support is real, because it's a proprietary format.

find it at videolan.org/vlc.
AJ Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:38 PM   #10
Major Player

Here's another multi-player alternative

This one looks interesting, too:
http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml

Does Real, too.

Haven't used it, yet, but may try it out tonight.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:04 PM   #11
RED Code Chef

I'm not sure whether all of the players mentioned do this, but
I do think ZoomPlayer uses codecs already installed. So you
must have RealPlayer installed for ZP to play the format back?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #12
Major Player

Here's the info on Real from the ZoomPlayer site:

Real Media:
To get Real Media content (RM/RA/RV) to play within Zoom Player (or any other DirectShow based player), you will need the "RealMedia Splitter" filter from the Guliverkli open-source project by Gabest. See the Technical Lead-in at the beginning of this article for information on how to manually install filters.

Download : SourceForge.net.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion