s-video vs. component illustrated at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

s-video vs. component illustrated

Here's a good page describing and depicting the differences among the various video cabling methods:

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/video/index.htm
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the link. My TV doesn't have AVin or S-video or anything else. I use AVout from my camcorder to AVin on my VCR. So does this meand that my TV is really only seeing RF which is the poorest quality of the signals?
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yep. You'd be amazed at what you're missing as compared to component video on an LCD screen. That's a good link, but the photos don't really do justice to the overall picture quality that you can see on a progressive scan component input device at 480p...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Firewire TV input

Now that link did not include Firewire input. I understand that some of the newer TVs (maybe HDTV) have Firewire input on the TV. Would that result in as good or better quality than component? Also why do TVs use component and not just Firewire?
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #5
New Boot

Yeah, thanks for the link, I was never quite sure on some of those facts.
Jeff Smallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

>Would that result in as good or better quality than component?

It depends on the signal path for the Firewire input. I think that most of these connectors are for MPEG2 signals from satellite boxes, HDTV tuners, D-VHS and the like. Has anyone
ever plugged a camcorder Firewire output to a
Firewire connector on a TV?

>Also why do TVs use component and not just Firewire?

There seems to be a digital interface war. A few TVs (notably Mitsubishi) include a Firewire connector but most provide some sort of DVI. Mind you, this isn't always the same DVI used by computer video cards for LCD monitors. A friend of mine is driving a plasma display with the DVI output of an ATI video card, though.

Also, a word of warning about Firewire inputs/outputs on DVD recorders. Many will recompress the DV25 stream to MPEG2 before converting to analog. Jeez !
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #7
Wrangler

Transcoding firewire to component video using a DVD recorder has been discussed in a couple other threads, and this same point was raised. I have a Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder which I use for this purpose. I use a 17" Sony 16:9 LCD monitor connected via component, and I feed firewire from my Mac running FCP to the DVD recorder. I have no way to tell if some MPEG conversion is taking place, but the results look phenomenal on the LCD panel; it's considerably cleaner looking than s-video. I can't see any hint of MPEG artifacts, but when I burn DVD's at the highest quality setting (1 hour per disk) I really can't see any difference between the original DV either. But the GX7 is one of the more expensive DVD recorders, so maybe the cheap ones don't do as good a job?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 03:13 AM   #8
Wrangler

firewire on hdtv/camcorder

Gints,

I tried to do this very thing with my panasonic and mitsubishi hdtv and it doesn't work. As someone already noted, and what I found by reading the manual afterwards is that it only recognizes MPEG-2 stream on the firewire port.

I think I read somewhere that this was to prevent pirating HD onto your camcorder. I can however, control the camcorder through the firewire link (the tv recognizes the pana when I plug it in), but the audio and video links have to be analog or the device must recognize MPEG-2( ie: DVHS). Of course, the camcorder only recognizes the DV stream format so all I get is blue screen when I put the camcorder in VCR mode. I thought I would finally be able to record OTA signals to my camcorder to play back in high def but nope, can't do that.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #9
Major Player

The link posted by Gints is very interesting. A few remarks however:
- the last picture with its color fringing in the multiburst path, shows why it is not allways adviseable to transport/process video in RGB format and it is better to convert into YUV and keep it until just before displaying. The problem with RGB is that all differential delays and amplitude/bandwidth differences show up in the luma channel where the eye is very sensitive for. That why pro's love YUV..
- there is often confusion w.r.t. "components"...also RGB belongs to the component world.
- most of the time RGB signals inputted in consumer TV's are at least converted first to YUV (in order to be able to adjust saturation) and then again decoded into RGB for displaying. Some European TV brands even reencode the RGB signal again in the PAL format, decode and convert again into rgb for displaying.
So, if you go for RGB first compaire to S-video interconnection
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion