(pics) 16:9 Compression Tests - interesting results! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #16
Wrangler

The DV3000 is a unique camera to say the least but like Rob mentions mileage will vary with other cams. Most cams do not offer a Digital Wide Mode which to me appears to be similar to newer cams that offer a wider angle of view in 16:9 mode. The Digital Wide mode goes a step farther and also lets you enjoy the increased real estate for 4:3. At least thats the way I see it.

With the newer cams that shoot quality 16:9 (DV953, PDX10, GS100) it makes sense to leave them in this mode to take advantage of the little to no resolution loss 16:9 mode vs. 4:3 with post 16:9 cropping.

The DV3000 of course has the unique non-interlaced effect while in Digital Wide mode and that is even more of a reason to shoot 4:3 and crop 16:9 in post as I'm pretty sure that its digital squeeze mode does not have the same effect.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Yeah, that's the problem with what happened with this thread. I didn't intend it to become a debate between the modes on the camera, but instead was curious as to whether applying in camera bars would result in less artifacting, or if the "shoot and protect" (or that given name for shooting for 16:9 and cropping in post) gave equal results.
Old January 20th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
I didn't intend it to become a debate between the modes on the camera
No debate, but the Digital Wide mode plays a major part in your post 16:9 crop and others need to know why this may not hold true for their non-JVC cam.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Right...crap! sorry!!!!! I misunderstood the reason. Thanks a ton! So, what do you think then? The difference between d.wide regular and d.wide with my title? I hate the screwed up colours, I guess those would qualify as artifacts...but do you think it makes much of a difference?

Thanks again Tommy, THANKS!
Rob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion