Help needed in filming a white object against an average background - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:15 PM   #16
Major Player

My easiest (and cheapest) option will be just expose for the birds and ignore everything else. The Canon XL1 does have AE Shift - if I set it to "-1" (or whatever value that eliminates the "zebra" pattern on the birds), will that be as good as using it on manual setting? Framing a moving bird is already hard enough (at 16X with 1.6 teleconvertor). Framing and adjusting the aperature (on manul mode) is too hard for me - if possible, I rather let the camera handle those stuff. (Of course, if the light don't change that much, manual exposure will be the best). However, I will try out Norm's suggestion ("switch to manual aperature and close 1 - 2 stops").

I use B+W multi-coated Cir-POL filters. I think it is one of the best available. BUT, as Jeff points out, a PL or GRAD filter won't help when the subject is white (and the meter is over-exposing) against an average gray background (mangrove swamp).

Kevin, I took a look at the Tiffen Ultra Contrast filters - but I don't think it works for my situation. I am not shooting in shadows, and having a bright morning sun didn't help.

Brian, thanks for the offer. I rather test it out what I state in the first paragraph and if it works for me - so much the better, rather than bothering you to host the pictures in your website.

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:33 PM   #17
Warden

Norm, a C-POL will not reduce or eliminate flare.

TS, set the gain to -3db and use the built in ND. I try not to shout above F8 or F11 unless I really need the great DOF. Use the zebra bars to judge your exposure on the highlights (white birds) and maybe go 1/2 stop lower to be on the safe side.

When your budget permits get the XL-EF EOS adapter so that you can use Canon 35mm lenses on the XL1. The adapter will allow you to zoom much closer to your subjects. Getting closer will help control the dynamic range to some degree by the subject occupying a greater portion of the image. I hope this helps.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I wrote flare, but I meant GLARE!

(English is my 2nd language. Pardon me)
Old January 31st, 2004, 09:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi everybody,

I pushed the GAIN down to -3db, put a PL-CIR filter in front, and also, occassionally, set the AE to -0.5 to -1.0 to eliminate the zebra on the bird's feathers. Problem is solved. Thanks for the help.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion